• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sentinel is adding a game changer..

Ever lived in a one horse town? HS sports is their only identity. Bitching is what they do. Walking the sidelines in their old lettermans jackets/booster club jackets that just won't button up over that 20-30 year old gut. Good for the kid. Not like a intracity transfer, ala Kalispell, Missoula, Helena, GF, or Billings. If the locals can't handle the simple fact that he is an exceptional talent and playing at a much higher level increases his exposure to a possible scholarship, then, screw 'em.

Had heard there was a good possibility this could happen. He definitely got recruited, not the 1st one, kinda surprised about the fine though.

Who fucks with a high school kid after he left? Who does that?

$100!?!? That’s the MHSA doing the least possible and telling the overlord he is really a little bitch

garizzalies said:
Who f***[*] with high school kids after they left? Who does that?

$100!?!? That’s the MHSA doing the least possible and telling the overlord he’s really a little bitch

Shouldn't have blatantly recruited a high school kid. It must have been pretty bad if they took it this far. I don't like whining but I also don't think this ype of recruiting situation should be ignored or encouraged. The devils in the details and the details must be bad for Sentinel.

Maybe you should know the details before you have an opinion. I asked 1972 how he knew he was recruited. Have facts before you speak. I'm still trying to get details before I weigh in. Again, this is a kid we are all casting judgement against. It's easy to blame sentinel, but really it's about him

Sorry, Great Falls is in another dimension from the rest of Montana. Tribune is totally worthless. Had to do a little web searching to find the story. Short of MHSA releasing the details, this is all speculation. Total chickenshit. Even in the states larger districts, what is to stop the family of a stud athlete from moving to another part of town, so Jr. can play on a good team. I've known renters and owners pull up and move across town, or to a bigger and better town. Time to start ending these co-op deals between non-viable schools, and just shut the doors, move to a larger and more encompassing district. Now I got a team to root AGAINST. Phuck Philipsburg. Words from a former long time MOA official regarding the administration of these districts: "Where do they get these people?" :roll:

It’s not the first time they have recruited. They have done it quite a bit with Basketball as well. Part of the problem is the school districts need to enforce that you go to school in the school district you live in. I am not saying that this was the case currently but it would help elevate some of the recruiting issues in Missoula.

Missoula has done that for a few years now. Whatever school district u live in, dictates what school you go to. I think, unfortunately, recruiting still goes on. But in this case, I believe it's a butt hurt coach doing what he can to hurt or taint this kid. How childish!

maroonandsilver said:
Hellgate has been recruiting boys to basketball for years, as has Sentinel for girls basketball.

So very true, look at their rosters and where the kids live. Those schools should be in the thousands in fines.

westsider said:
maroonandsilver said:
Hellgate has been recruiting boys to basketball for years, as has Sentinel for girls basketball.

So very true, look at their rosters and where the kids live. Those schools should be in the thousands in fines.

How do we know these kids were "recruited?" Hellgate soccer attracts kids from all over town because of their strong program, and I assume some kids either enroll in or transfer to Hellgate to play basketball for Jeff Hays, but that doesn't mean they were "recruited" by Hellgate coaches.

AllWeatherFan said:
westsider said:
maroonandsilver said:

How do we know these kids were "recruited?" Hellgate soccer attracts kids from all over town because of their strong program, and I assume some kids either enroll in or transfer to Hellgate to play basketball for Jeff Hays, but that doesn't mean they were "recruited" by Hellgate coaches.
Unless something changed in the past couple years, Missoula offers open enrollment for the three public high schools. Students are assigned to one of three "home" schools, but are allowed to enroll in any of the three, choices that are usually at least partially determined by extra curricular activities. Students interested in music often enroll at Hellgate; students interested in soccer usually enroll at Hellgate; while others pick Sentinel or Big Sky for a variety of reasons.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:
I’m not suggesting we throw spaghetti all over the state like the cats, but there has to be a happy medium, and we should show a little early love (not a full ride or anything like that) for at least the 3-4 top kids in the state.
We’re in an arms race with our most hated enemy and some want to take a wait and see approach

Uh.... I just looked at your player list for 2019 and it looks like you signed 15 MT kids out of 29?? Over half? That seems like WAY over recruiting MT IMO. Cats probably over recruit MT too, again, IMO.

Waaaay over recruited. There are only 10 kids in the entire state in a given year who will have impact for a career at the FCS level. The Griz and cats both need to get better at battling for those 10. Signing 29 kids between the 2 program is way too much.

Here's the biggest difference I've noticed: social media, particularly Twitter and its relation to college football, has made the world flat if that makes sense. Even kids in Fairfield, Montana have Twitter and can tweet about their offers.

Because there is so much information out there now, all recruits are so much more visibly recruited and added to the roster. For example, 10-15 years ago, there was no real knowledge of walk-ons, preferred or otherwise, until the start of fall camp. I can't remember kids signing "a letter of admissions" like they do now or getting announced on signing day. Often times, preferred walk-ons from Montana would not be added to the roster until the summer after their senior years.

Now, because the visibility of who "wins the state" is such a big deal, every kid who is recruited whatsoever — and make no mistake, preferred walk-ons in Montana are recruited almost as hard as scholarship kids — is announced. It's part of signing day.

The point is that there still is between 6-10 full-scholarship caliber kids in the state each year. There are maybe 5-10 more partial kids. And there's a collection of preferred walk-ons. Both schools have been filling out their 94-man rosters with Montana kids for years and years. That's why you see 45-50 kids from Montana on each roster even though most of them are not getting much if any money. The amount of kids getting money before they become Griz or Bobcats is relatively unchanged. The amount of information about walk-ons and the "fanfare" they receive is just much more substantial.

Badjuju said:
Well, things have changed. The school district you live in, IS the school you go to

Must have just changed in the last year or two then.

Badjuju said:
Griz2k said:
Badjuju said:
Well, things have changed. The school district you live in, IS the school you go to

Must have just changed in the last year or two then.

Maybe last 3 or 4. Pretty recent

Ah that's interesting. Wasn't there some sort of rule that if you transfered, you had to sit out athletics for 90 days or something like that?

Latest posts

Back