• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Football

Missoulian article:

"Haslam is targeting April while staying within the NCAA-allowed window for playing non-playoff games, which is Feb. 27 through April 17. In a normal spring, teams aren’t allowed to play games.

No opponents are set yet, but Haslam expects both games to be at home against non-Division I opponents.

“I don’t foresee us playing any Big Sky Conference schools,” said Haslam, who noted that if UM and MSU don't play this year, then who gets to host the rotating rivalry game in 2021 will be decided at the conference level as the league talks through the season's schedule."

Brother Bear said:
I would bet on Western and Tech.

KEM, Currently the Frontier Conference is playing a 7 game schedule. You think this decision will have trickle down to the Frontier ranks? As it currently stands they would not be able to scrimmage a western and tech, those seasons would have to cancel themselves as well.
I'm not following you. They will still have spring ball practice; a small jump from normal scrimmage to an exhibition game in Missoula, their players' only chance to play there. Cheap bus trips.

UM and MSU should have done the NAU dome bubble, using the NBA as a model. Move to Flagstaff for season. School/classes are largely remote, so no problem. Use the dome as necessary for practice. If there were 2 "home" games on a weekend, then there would be efficiency with the tv crews, for streaming and maybe pay-per-view. Schollie players get board and room anyway. UM could bus to Flagstaff at beginning and end of seasons, to save on charters.

How many Cat, Bison, etc. posters are going to jump me for this?

PlayerRep said:
UM and MSU should have done the NAU dome bubble, using the NBA as a model. Move to Flagstaff for season. School/classes are largely remote, so no problem. Use the dome as necessary for practice. If there were 2 "home" games on a weekend, then there would be efficiency with the tv crews, for streaming and maybe pay-per-view. Schollie players get board and room anyway. UM could bus to Flagstaff at beginning and end of seasons, to save on charters.

Or even Idaho. That way you’re a lot closer to Missoula in the event that somebody needs to go back for something.

The next Griz-scat game had better be in Missoula. This Chinese plague bullshit excuse for canceling the Missoula game will be the end of Bodnar and Haslam.

kemajic said:
Brother Bear said:
I would bet on Western and Tech.

KEM, Currently the Frontier Conference is playing a 7 game schedule. You think this decision will have trickle down to the Frontier ranks? As it currently stands they would not be able to scrimmage a western and tech, those seasons would have to cancel themselves as well.
I'm not following you. They will still have spring ball practice; a small jump from normal scrimmage to an exhibition game in Missoula, their players' only chance to play there. Cheap bus trips.

The point I was trying to make is as it currently stands the Frontier Conference is scheduled to be playing a spring season in NAIA. How would Western and Tech go scrimmage the Griz when they are "in season". Wouldn't happen unless the Frontier knows they already about to cancel as well.

tourist said:
The next Griz-scat game had better be in Missoula. This Chinese plague bullshit excuse for canceling the Missoula game will be the end of Bodnar and Haslam.
:lol: :lol: :roll:

If both teams are going to play two games a sort of scrimmage why don't they just play each other for one of them? Makes no sense why not.

PlayerRep said:

Why go clear to Flagstaff? Why not Moscow or Pocatello?

RayWill said:
If both teams are going to play two games a sort of scrimmage why don't they just play each other for one of them? Makes no sense why not.

Makes total sense...neither wants to and they have other options.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Good point. But those to towns are pretty crappy compared to Flagstaff. Especially Pocatello.

I can attest to the Pocatello end, having lived there many, many years. Probably the key reason ISU can't recruit. :eek:

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Good point. But those to towns are pretty crappy compared to Flagstaff. Especially Pocatello.

Well having spent 3.5 year in Moscow (seemed like 10) I can assure you it ain’t no Shangri-la there either.... :lol: :lol:

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizpsych said:
I just put some feelers out to see if Southeast Missouri State would be interested in playing in one of these non-conference games. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

My guess is this will never happen. I think there is a reason that 3 schools announced playing 2 games each.

You were right. Our AD knows about it but it seems like he is concerned about the games being in the late Spring.

RayWill said:
Makes no sense why.

Griz til I die said:
Phat Cat said:
Lol........ Nope.
Lol........ Yep. I’ve already had two sources confirm that this is extremely likely to happen.

I mean no offense... But, why?

They already have the schedule made until 2022. They released it back in 2018 (18-21).

SUU isn't leaving until 2022. Which is perfect because 2022 schedule has not been released. So literally does not effect schedule at all.

Why on earth would they re-do the whole schedule? I get Cat-Griz is big and sucks it will be in Bozeman twice in a row. But I was in Missoula for 2020 season and you pulled plug. That is not conference office or other team in conferences fault. Pandemic isn't going to be fair. Sorry about it.

DTDVandal4 said:
Griz til I die said:
Lol........ Yep. I’ve already had two sources confirm that this is extremely likely to happen.

I mean no offense... But, why?

They already have the schedule made until 2022. They released it back in 2018 (18-21).

SUU isn't leaving until 2022. Which is perfect because 2022 schedule has not been released. So literally does not effect schedule at all.

Why on earth would they re-do the whole schedule? I get Cat-Griz is big and sucks it will be in Bozeman twice in a row. But I was in Missoula for 2020 season and you pulled plug. That is not conference office or other team in conferences fault. Pandemic isn't going to be fair. Sorry about it.

I correct myself. Your claim may hold water. I never saw they have until 2023 now
https://bigskyconf.com/documents/2019/5/6//2020_23_Big_Sky_Football_Schedules.pdf?id=6244

Latest posts

Back