• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gustafson Added to Watch List

BG's performance yesterday was like that baseball player that hits a solo homerun in the 8th inning with his team trailing 10-1. It looks nice in the stats, but sometimes when you make the play is more important.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:
Define poorly. Below his average game? Obviously.

Take the jaded glasses off for a minute, which I know is impossible for you Helena, are you really upset with this stat line?

541 yards total offense as a team
QB
34/59
394 yards
4 td's
1 pick
1 sack allowed

Obviously his passing % could be better but honestly... it's a pretty good stat line and pretty good play given the fact that the o-line got walked all over.

Too bad stats can be misleading. It is almost like you didn't even watch the game. How many crucial plays did BG fail to convert? How many times can you throw the ball 10' over your receivers head? He had opportunities to make plays and be the guy and he didn't. He did not have a good game and got some scoring drives late to make his numbers look better. How about the pick he threw right to the NAU DB? It was his worst game since NDSU.

All we can blame Gustafson for is not playing good enough to overcome the atrocious/embarrassing effort by his teammates and the coaching staff.

BG's main problem was that he missed the 2 important 4th down conversion throws, as well as a handful of other throws that looked like he could have been more on target. A few of his "overthrows" appeared to be intentional. I don't know how his decision-making was. It didn't look good as some prior games. He was under considerable pressure much of the game, and get hurt a lot after throws. Most qb's don't throw as well when under pressure.

I wish he had been better, but he certainly wasn't bad. He and his teammates just have to make more good and tough plays, if they are going to beat top teams. I give NAU a lot of credit on both sides of the ball. They were good yesterday.

Member Berries said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:

Take the jaded glasses off for a minute, which I know is impossible for you Helena, are you really upset with this stat line?

QB
34/59
394 yards
4 td's
1 pick
1 sack allowed

Obviously his passing % could be better but honestly... it's a pretty good stat line and pretty good play given the fact that the o-line got walked all over.

Too bad stats can be misleading. It is almost like you didn't even watch the game. How many crucial plays did BG fail to convert? How many times can you throw the ball 10' over your receivers head? He had opportunities to make plays and be the guy and he didn't. He did not have a good game and got some scoring drives late to make his numbers look better. How about the pick he threw right to the NAU DB? It was his worst game since NDSU.

All we can blame Gustafson for is not playing good enough to overcome the atrocious/embarrassing effort by his teammates and the coaching staff.
:clap:

Member Berries said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:

QB
34/59
394 yards
4 td's
1 pick
1 sack allowed

Seems to me that BG missed opportunities early also. So as bad as the defense was, BG didn't help keep his team in it either.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Member Berries said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:

QB
34/59
394 yards
4 td's
1 pick
1 sack allowed

Seems to me that BG missed opportunities early also. So as bad as the defense was, BG didn't help keep his team in it either.

Its football, opportunities are regularly missed, it is part of the game... but I respectively disagree with your assessment that BG didn't help keep them in it. Sure he did... It just wasn't good enough. I believe throwing 59 times for 400 yards and 4 TD's should be considered "helping". Let's keep things real, shall we?

Member Berries said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Member Berries said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Its football, opportunities are regularly missed, it is part of the game... but I respectively disagree with your assessment that BG didn't help keep them in it. Sure he did... It just wasn't good enough. I believe throwing 59 times for 400 yards and 4 TD's should be considered "helping". Let's keep things real, shall we?

Good QB's take advantage of the opportunities, make the players around them better. I didn't see that from the QB yesterday.

Name the BEST QB you can possibly imagine and I can find points in EVERY game they have ever played where they didn't take advantage of an opportunity

Even the beloved Carson Wentz is laying an egg again. Bringing his expectations down to earth. Why are your expectations for the Griz QB so high?

Bottom line with Brady is early pressure results in poor play. The one pass that shows he has the tools is the pass to Calhoun late in the game for a td. He took the hit but still stepped into the throw and delivered. Other than that It seems he gets under duress and doesn't make the play. I admit the offensive line was about as bad as I've seen so there is plenty of blame to go around. Blitz early and often to get some big shots on Brady and then he folds like an accordion. So either get the blocking assignments right or deliver the ball quicker. Thankfully we don't play any outstanding defenses anytime soon.

Gustafson is a good QB. He isn't a great one, but he's the best one we have.

He played just OK yesterday. Certainly missed some drive killing throws, but he wasn't as bad as many on here are whining he was.

He had a great game last year against EWU. Hopefully he can duplicate that next week.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul, why are your expectations so low? And why don't we compare what Wentz did at the FCS level to have a more valid comparison.

so low? 130 QBR is fine for me.
400 passing yards is fine for me
4 tds 1 pick is fine for me

He's a top 10 QB in the FCS. That's fine for me. Unfortunately your guys' bias doesn't let you see that. You can nitpick any QB's play if you just wanna sit there and analyze EVERY single throw. Tom Brady misses throws too.

Eriul said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul, why are your expectations so low? And why don't we compare what Wentz did at the FCS level to have a more valid comparison.

He's a top 10 QB in the FCS. That's fine for me. Unfortunately your guys' bias doesn't let you see that. You can nitpick any QB's play if you just wanna sit there and analyze EVERY single throw. Tom Brady misses throws too.

Like a comparison I made earlier. Yesterday BG was like a baseball player that hits a solo homerun when trailing 10-1. It looks nice in his stats, but the timing of the homerun really means little. It is not all about the stats, it is when you are able to make the plays. Yesterday he didn't make plays when they really counted. I don't see why that concept is so difficult to grasp.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Like a comparison I made earlier. Yesterday BG was like a baseball player that hits a solo homerun when trailing 10-1. It looks nice in his stats, but the timing of the homerun really means little. It is not all about the stats, it is when you are able to make the plays. Yesterday he didn't make plays when they really counted. I don't see why that concept is so difficult to grasp.

I don't get why you think him missing a few throws makes him a bad QB.

Yah he didn't have his best game. So fucking what? You wanna burn the university down, get rid of the football team, and start all over? He didn't play awful. He played fine. It wasn't good it wasn't bad. You would see that if you took off your BG hating glasses.

Eriul said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I don't get why you think him missing a few throws makes him a bad QB.

Yah he didn't have his best game. So f***[*] what? You wanna burn the university down, get rid of the football team, and start all over? He didn't play awful. He played fine. It wasn't good it wasn't bad. You would see that if you took off your BG hating glasses.

I said he had a bad game, I think he is an average QB. I don't hate BG, or think we should burn down the university or get rid of the football team. You would see that if you took off your BG biased glasses.

It's too bad, because the 2nd half of that game was probably the last chance the coaches had to bench Gustafson and try out Chalich. Gustafson will probably play well against the remaining poor defenses on our schedule, giving the coaches no chance to bench him before we face a good defense in the playoffs.

G-BEARS said:
It's too bad, because the 2nd half of that game was probably the last chance the coaches had to bench Gustafson and try out Chalich. Gustafson will probably play well against the remaining poor defenses on our schedule, giving the coaches no chance to bench him before we face a good defense in the playoffs.
Seems odd for a "mad scientist." At least as far as QBs are concerned, he does not like to experiment.

Back