• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Head Coach

marceagfan5 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
WaGriz4life said:
I would love to see your actual top 10

1. Todd Graham
2. David Shaw
3. Lance Leipold
4. James Franklin
5. Larry Fedora
6. Art Briles
7. Craig Bohl
8. Gary Patterson
9. Kevin Sumlin

Wow...not sold on Franklin and Leipold is probably too high (surprised you have him above Bohl)...but thats a pretty good list. Well done

Great list and a turn for the positive on a thread that was on life support. I'd like to add Charlie Strong to this list. Granted, he has taken over solid programs. His programs have been better off with him than when he arrived them. I despise Texas athletics, but have a feeling they landed one of the finest coaches in the nation. What do others feel about Strong?

I also feel Gary Pinkel is one of the best in the nation. He has brought Missouri football to never before reached heights and consistency. He proved even more competing as well as they have as quickly as they have since moving to the SEC.

mtgrizrule said:
marceagfan5 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
WaGriz4life said:

1. Todd Graham
2. David Shaw
3. Lance Leipold
4. James Franklin
5. Larry Fedora
6. Art Briles
7. Craig Bohl
8. Gary Patterson
9. Kevin Sumlin

Wow...not sold on Franklin and Leipold is probably too high (surprised you have him above Bohl)...but thats a pretty good list. Well done

Great list and a turn for the positive on a thread that was on life support. I'd like to add Charlie Strong to this list. Granted, he has taken over solid programs. His programs have been better off with him than when he arrived them. I despise Texas athletics, but have a feeling they landed one of the finest coaches in the nation. What do others feel about Strong?

I also feel Gary Pinkel is one of the best in the nation. He has brought Missouri football to never before reached heights and consistency. He proved even more competing as well as they have as quickly as they have since moving to the SEC.

I actually really like Pinkel, he would be in my top 10. Strong is a great choice as well, we will see how he does at Texas.

I would have added Dantonio to Alpha's list. He has done a tremendous job at MSU considering he is in the shadow of Notre Dame, Michigan, and OSU.

mtgrizrule said:
marceagfan5 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
WaGriz4life said:

1. Todd Graham
2. David Shaw
3. Lance Leipold
4. James Franklin
5. Larry Fedora
6. Art Briles
7. Craig Bohl
8. Gary Patterson
9. Kevin Sumlin

An equally realistic list includes:

1. Knute Rockne
2. Ronald McDonald
3. Eric Taylor
4. Godzilla
5. Ursa Major's left nut
6. Bill Parcells
7. Vanilla Ice
8. 1.5 cups of Vlade Divac's taint sweat
9. Assorted holiday candles
10. Jim Harbaugh

Fail.

Vanilla Ice should be first on your list. The fact that he isn't is proof positive that you don't know jack shit about assessing coaching talent.

Here is what I believe is a "realistic" list of potentials that could be interested in a lateral move or stepping up before eventually moving on to the next level in coaching:

FORMER D-1 Guys:
Ed Orgeron: Would out recruit the entire BSC, WAC, MWC & several Pac-12 schools combined
Al Borges - longtime successful big time OC has always wanted to run his own program
Rob Akey: UM would be a step up from Idaho & everyone knows it
Paul Wulff: USF pulled him away from the NFL; but a "closed mouth dont get feed" either

SAM HOUSTON STATE
Mike Collins - Asst Head Coach Defensive Coordinator
Phil Longo - Offensive Coordinator

GRAND VALLEY STATE
Matt Mitchell - Head Coach
Jack Ginn - Associate Head Coach/Wide Receivers

WEST TEXAS A&M
Mike Nesbitt Head Coach
Nick Paremski Defensive Coordinator
Stephen Lee Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

CSU-Pueblo
John Wristen - Head Coach
Hunter Hughes - Defensive Coordinator
Daren Wilkinson -Offensive Coordinator

SOUTHERN OREGON
Craig Howard - Head Coach

INSIDERS W/PROMISE: Justin Green, Scott Gragg; Mike Breske; BEAU BALDWIN & Robin Pflugrad (super longshot - but it would right a horrible wrong + he still wants to be here)

Each has built winning programs & sustained their success when they moved on to other programs. I tried to focus on probables rather than hopefuls. Younger guys would use this job as a stepping stone. Older guys may be persuaded to stick around long term.

Plus, they all have experience in recruiting hotbeds & are considered to develop talent rather than accumulate it on their way to success within the programs they run!

Ok now go off & play nicely.
NPB

NewPapaBear said:
Here is what I believe is a "realistic" list of potentials that could be interested in a lateral move or stepping up before eventually moving on to the next level in coaching:

FORMER D-1 Guys:
Ed Orgeron: Would out recruit the entire BSC, WAC, MWC & several Pac-12 schools combined
Al Borges - longtime successful big time OC has always wanted to run his own program
Paul Wulff: USF pulled him away from the NFL; but a "closed mouth dont get feed" either

SAM HOUSTON STATE

GRAND VALLEY STATE

WEST TEXAS A&M
Mike Nesbitt Head Coach

CSU-Pueblo

SOUTHERN OREGON

INSIDERS W/PROMISE: Justin Green, Scott Gragg; Mike Breske; BEAU BALDWIN & Robin Pflugrad (super longshot - but it would right a horrible wrong + he still wants to be here)

Each has built winning programs & sustained their success when they moved on to other programs. I tried to focus on probables rather than hopefuls. Younger guys would use this job as a stepping stone. Older guys may be persuaded to stick around long term.

Plus, they all have experience in recruiting hotbeds & are considered to develop talent rather than accumulate it on their way to success within the programs they run!

NPB

Great post, and thanks for steering this back. Why in the hell are others trying to derail this thread? It's a great subject.

mtgrizrule said:
NewPapaBear said:

FORMER D-1 Guys:

SAM HOUSTON STATE

GRAND VALLEY STATE

WEST TEXAS A&M
Mike Nesbitt Head Coach

CSU-Pueblo

SOUTHERN OREGON

NPB

Great post, and thanks for steering this back. Why in the hell are others trying to derail this thread? It's a great subject.

I hope to hell it isn't Gragg. Have you looked at his head coaching record at the high school level? He hasn't coached anywhere else....

mtgrizrule said:
Why in the hell are others trying to derail this thread? It's a great subject.

This from a guy who put the head coach of the Texas Fucking Longhorns on a list of potential future Griz head coaches? Why not Ivan Drago or Abe Lincoln?

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Fail.

Vanilla Ice should be first on your list. The fact that he isn't is proof positive that you don't know jack shit about assessing coaching talent.

No fooling you, Bjorn. Luckily, since we're identifying current SEC/Big 12/PAC 12 head coaches as possible replacements for Mick, the ability to assess coaching talent is irrelevant to the analysis here. As is any ability to do pretty much anything.

CDAGRIZ said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Fail.

No fooling you, Bjorn. Luckily, since we're identifying current SEC/Big 12/PAC 12 head coaches as possible replacements for Mick, the ability to assess coaching talent is irrelevant to the analysis here. As is any ability to do pretty much anything.
Alpha and mtgrizrule were listing top 10 coaches out there, not potential Griz replacements.....Which means mtgr helped derail the thread he is complaning got derailed.

......and I may have just been trolled

WaGriz4life said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Fail.

Alpha and mtgrizrule were listing top 10 coaches out there, not potential Griz replacements.....Which means mtgr helped derail the thread he is complaning got derailed.

......and I may have just been trolled

I hate when people derail threads. There are too many threads anyway.
There should be like three threads:
(1) Xs and Os;
(2) Recruiting; and
(3) Main Hall.

Every fifth post in each of the three threads has to mention one of the following:
(a) a former Griz player who is a good kid from a strong family;
(b) weather;
(c) Butte;
(d) uniforms; or
(e) a complaint about threads being derailed.

Mods, can we just amend the CoC now to short circuit this shit?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
WaGriz4life said:

1. Todd Graham
2. David Shaw
3. Lance Leipold
4. James Franklin
5. Larry Fedora
6. Art Briles
7. Craig Bohl
8. Gary Patterson
9. Kevin Sumlin
10. Kenny Powers

Notice all of them actually build a program instead of getting the keys to a proven winner and keeping it on the road.
Solid list and I dig Graham and his coaching prowess. However, don't expect him to be in Tempe baking his a$$ off much longer...His salary can easily be tripled by a Michigan, (Hoke could be canned at the end of this year) or a host of teams who have enough cash in the coffee room to buy out Grahams' 2 mill plus a year contract. He actually had them hitting again which they hadn't done in a decade before his arrival. Their "D" is now at the fork in the road again, minus 9 starters... :egriz:

Two points of interest. 1. I'm one hundred percent positive Delaney will be back in 2015.

2. Craig Howard on the list of potential replacements is laughable, especially if age is a factor of why you guys want Delaney gone. Howard OLD. His SOU program also has a HORRIBLE reputation right for their recruiting practices. Not to mention, the only reason SOU had ONE good season is, Central Washington completely screwed over Austin Dodge so he dropped down to SOU and is lighting up piss poor NAIA secondaries. And yes, secondaries in the NAIA are generally the weakest spots on a defense because of the lack of speed and talent at that level. I've seen Dodge play, he is the real deal, but believe me, it doesn't have anything to do with Craig Howard. It has to do with throwing it up and letting fast dropdown and academic casualty WR's outrun weak Frontier Conference secondaries to catch 50-80 yard TD passes. That's basically SOU's offense in a nutshell right now.

CDAGRIZ said:
mtgrizrule said:

This from a guy who put the head coach of the Texas f***[*] Longhorns on a list of potential future Griz head coaches? Why not Ivan Drago or Abe Lincoln?

Read the list and what it is about. The list Alpha started is not that of potential GRIZ coaches but of top NCAA coaches in his opinion. :thumb:

Per this thread's title, I'd like to see our next HC be one of the original Front Street Pour Boyz...

mtgrizrule said:
CDAGRIZ said:
mtgrizrule said:

This from a guy who put the head coach of the Texas f***[*] Longhorns on a list of potential future Griz head coaches? Why not Ivan Drago or Abe Lincoln?

Read the list and what it is about. The list Alpha started is not that of potential GRIZ coaches but of top NCAA coaches in his opinion. :thumb:

Thanks. I think I must have just been going off the title of the thread.

Back