• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Head Coach

Grizo406 said:
Per this thread's title, I'd like to see our next HC be one of the original Front Street Pour Boyz...

Very fine work. Took me a second. Your guy is ol' Richard "Shaken Keg" Paxson. Due to the infamous ratio of foam to ale on his pour, dude had a knife to his throat everywhere he looked before becoming a FSPB OG.

Come to think of it, based on the title, I bet Wilma "Gams" Fitzpatrick would also be a good hire. Nothing to do with suds.

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Grizo406 said:
Per this thread's title, I'd like to see our next HC be one of the original Front Street Pour Boyz...

I predicted this as a very real possibility in 1892. :geek:

True story. In those days, not many appreciated the degree of control the Boyz would exercise on UM Athletics and Main Hall in the coming years. You did.

CDAGRIZ said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Grizo406 said:

I predicted this as a very real possibility in 1892. :geek:

True story. In those days, not many appreciated the degree of control the Boyz would exercise on UM Athletics and Main Hall in the coming years. You did.

Vindication is sweet. But then, you don't need me to tell you that...

havgrizfan said:
Two points of interest. 1. I'm one hundred percent positive Delaney will be back in 2015.

2. Craig Howard on the list of potential replacements is laughable, especially if age is a factor of why you guys want Delaney gone. Howard OLD. His SOU program also has a HORRIBLE reputation right for their recruiting practices. Not to mention, the only reason SOU had ONE good season is, Central Washington completely screwed over Austin Dodge so he dropped down to SOU and is lighting up piss poor NAIA secondaries. And yes, secondaries in the NAIA are generally the weakest spots on a defense because of the lack of speed and talent at that level. I've seen Dodge play, he is the real deal, but believe me, it doesn't have anything to do with Craig Howard. It has to do with throwing it up and letting fast dropdown and academic casualty WR's outrun weak Frontier Conference secondaries to catch 50-80 yard TD passes. That's basically SOU's offense in a nutshell right now.

You are entitled to your opinion & I am not saying I disagree but lets be serious. Obviously age is not an issue for this gig. I made no reference to age or wanting Delaney gone. My response was within the context of the question NEXT Head Coach.

Thanks for the insights, it appears you are much closer to the situation than I. However, based upon the pay grade & my perception of what RE wants in his head coach, I threw him in the mix.

BTW if the plan was to bring Mick back he would have received a two year deal not one. Does this mean he's out for sure (doubtful), it will all be based upon whom Kent can lure to Missoula. I will say this right now...we are being out recruited by our top BSC rival & its not because of scholarship limitations.

The Griz should never loose a recruiting battle especially when comparing program legacy & playin environment...No damn way. "Remember its all about the Jimmy's & the Joes. Not as much as the X's & O's"

Where's your list?

I got two words for you Mother fuckers...

Grandpa Munster!

He has strong ties to the university, is a hell of a recruiter and won't notice the 'old man smell" in the head ball coaches' office.

CDAGRIZ said:
WaGriz4life said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Fail.

Vanilla Ice should be first on your list. The fact that he isn't is proof positive that you don't know jack shit about assessing coaching talent.

No fooling you, Bjorn. Luckily, since we're identifying current SEC/Big 12/PAC 12 head coaches as possible replacements for Mick, the ability to assess coaching talent is irrelevant to the analysis here. As is any ability to do pretty much anything.
Alpha and mtgrizrule were listing top 10 coaches out there, not potential Griz replacements.....Which means mtgr helped derail the thread he is complaning got derailed.

......and I may have just been trolled

I hate when people derail threads. There are too many threads anyway.
There should be like three threads:
(1) Xs and Os;
(2) Recruiting; and
(3) Main Hall.

Every fifth post in each of the three threads has to mention one of the following:
(a) a former Griz player who is a good kid from a strong family;
(b) weather;
(c) Butte;
(d) uniforms; or
(e) a complaint about threads being derailed.

Mods, can we just amend the CoC now to short circuit this shit?

This is brilliant! I would recommend that this forum adopt these changes immediately and also move to a mandatory traditional Haiku format (5-7-5) for all posts. From now on, we will only accept posts submitted in the traditional Haiku format and reject all others, including bullshit Tanka!

Ursa Major"I would recommend that this forum adopt these changes immediately and also move to a mandatory traditional Haiku format (5-7-5) for all posts. From now on said:
There's nothing about this that doesn't make a fuck-ton of sense. :thumb:

I realize the Jonathan Smith ship may have already sailed but is there any chance we can turn it around? He seems to fit the bill: young, smart, agressive, from the NW with some ties to UM including some friends already on the staff.....

garizzalies said:
I realize the Jonathan Smith ship may have already sailed but is there any chance we can turn it around? He seems to fit the bill: young, smart, agressive, from the NW with some ties to UM including some friends already on the staff.....

Not unless the salary at UM magically triples overnight.

garizzalies said:
No. Like I said his "base" salary at UW is $425,000 per year not including bonuses and incentives. Some are saying being the UM head coach would be a great stepping stone to getting an FBS HC job. I think staying at his current position is a better stepping stone to becoming a FBS HC.

And Jonathan Smith is from Pasadena, not the Northwest.

NewPapaBear said:
Here is what I believe is a "realistic" list of potentials that could be interested in a lateral move or stepping up before eventually moving on to the next level in coaching:

Hunter Hughes - Defensive Coordinator

I was hopeful Hunter Hughes would replace Mike Breske. He was interested in the job, and fresh off a national defensive coordinator of the year performance. But Ty Gregorak was looking for work, too.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
WaGriz4life said:
CDAGRIZ said:
No fooling you, Bjorn. Luckily, since we're identifying current SEC/Big 12/PAC 12 head coaches as possible replacements for Mick, the ability to assess coaching talent is irrelevant to the analysis here. As is any ability to do pretty much anything.
Alpha and mtgrizrule were listing top 10 coaches out there, not potential Griz replacements.....Which means mtgr helped derail the thread he is complaning got derailed.

......and I may have just been trolled

I hate when people derail threads. There are too many threads anyway.
There should be like three threads:
(1) Xs and Os;
(2) Recruiting; and
(3) Main Hall.

Every fifth post in each of the three threads has to mention one of the following:
(a) a former Griz player who is a good kid from a strong family;
(b) weather;
(c) Butte;
(d) uniforms; or
(e) a complaint about threads being derailed.

Mods, can we just amend the CoC now to short circuit this shit?

This is brilliant! I would recommend that this forum adopt these changes immediately and also move to a mandatory traditional Haiku format (5-7-5) for all posts. From now on, we will only accept posts submitted in the traditional Haiku format and reject all others, including bullshit Tanka!

This is a great post.
Wonder if it will catch on.
One can only hope.

Grandpa Munster? Sure.
But don't forget the very
First Craig Bohl-style coach.

unclefester1-290x300.jpg

WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:
No. Like I said his "base" salary at UW is $425,000 per year not including bonuses and incentives. Some are saying being the UM head coach would be a great stepping stone to getting an FBS HC job. I think staying at his current position is a better stepping stone to becoming a FBS HC.

And Jonathan Smith is from Pasadena, not the Northwest.
Thanks for crushing my dreams ;)
I think I knew Cali was his homestate, i should have specified with OSU and/or the substantial time he spent in the NW which seems to be one of our hotbeds for recruiting.
I see what you're saying with the HC angle, and you're probably right, but FBS assistants are a dime-a-dozen. HC experience could seperate him from the pack. It's a pipe-dream but more realistic than most the names in this thread.

Brent Peace won't make the cut for UM simply because Alpha does not care for his yelling methods and he might still be smoking cigs. Naw, we need to look at new young blood that may stick with us for 10 plus years.
This old over the hill MD needs to move on. Nice guy but with his dumb and out dated offense we will be weak again in the scoring side. If Jordy was not our QB we would be 50% at best!
The pay is low so we must expect low caliber coaching. No super Dave or Don Reads are in large supply.
Griz enthused is down and are going down each year. This thing needs to be turned around.
We have Engstrom that is as bad as we could have. He needs to leave! Haslim has three priority lists. Family #1 Church #2 Griz#3. We are in a tough spot right now!

Glad to see this stayed on track after my homework assignment was handed in...
Pull your head out your backside, wipe the shit from your lips, pop a breath mint & stop kissing ass!

I would love to see some real candidates discussed that can actually happen.

Bottom line is this IF you were making $400k as a coordinator or position coach at a "prominent" program...would you cut your compensation by 60%-70% to be a head guy @ UM???

I sure as hell wouldn't & I bet neither would you. So, give me some candidates that would see the UM job as an upward or better lateral career move? :oops:

Umista said:
Brent Peace won't make the cut for UM simply because Alpha does not care for his yelling methods and he might still be smoking cigs. Naw, we need to look at new young blood that may stick with us for 10 plus years.
This old over the hill MD needs to move on. Nice guy but with his dumb and out dated offense we will be weak again in the scoring side. If Jordy was not our QB we would be 50% at best!
The pay is low so we must expect low caliber coaching. No super Dave or Don Reads are in large supply.
Griz enthused is down and are going down each year. This thing needs to be turned around.
We have Engstrom that is as bad as we could have. He needs to leave! Haslim has three priority lists. Family #1 Church #2 Griz#3. We are in a tough spot right now!
We averaged damn near 40 points a game last year and 450 yards of offense. Hardly "weak in scoring"

WaGriz4life said:
Umista said:
We averaged damn near 40 points a game last year and 450 yards of offense. Hardly "weak in scoring"

That statement jumped out at me also. Would 60 points a game make some of these people happy?

Umista said:

Also, why is the Pro Set an outdated offense. Please explain.

Ursa Major said:
I got two words for you Mother f***[*]...

Grandpa Munster!

He has strong ties to the university, is a hell of a recruiter and won't notice the 'old man smell" in the head ball coaches' office.

I believe the correct phrase is "dead guy smell".

Latest posts

Back