• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No More Excuses

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
If superior facilities removed any and all excuses from winning it all then why doesn't Oregon with the FBS natty every single season?

They use Stitt's offense and pay no attention to defense. :coffee:

More circular logic from the king of circular logic.

When it was actually Pflugrad who used their offense, not Stitt. The same Pflugrad who Growler said was a great coach.

Yet ANOTHER mis-quote by Wally in a desperate attempt to belittle a poster he knows owns him. Pflu was a good coach. Not the best coach we have had, but certainly better than Stitt or Delaney. I did not like his offense, and he could never have won a NC using it, but it is much better than Stitt's. At least Pflu knew the value of a tight end, and a blocking back, and actually had a running game.

All of the smart head coaches who win national championships run a multiple set pro-style offense, featuring a solid running game. Their QB takes snaps under center, as well as from the gun. They can beat you in many different ways, unlike our gimmick offense which relies strictly on the passing game and which disintegrates in bad weather conditions that we routinely experience in the Northwest. Any other educating you need? Just let me know.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

When it was actually Pflugrad who used their offense, not Stitt. The same Pflugrad who Growler said was a great coach.

Yet ANOTHER mis-quote by Wally in a desperate attempt to belittle a poster he knows owns him. Pflu was a good coach. Not the best coach we have had, but certainly better than Stitt or Delaney. I did not like his offense, and he could never have won a NC using it, but it is much better than Stitt's. At least Pflu knew the value of a tight end, and a blocking back, and actually had a running game.

All of the smart head coaches who win national championships run a multiple set pro-style offense, featuring a solid running game. Their QB takes snaps under center, as well as from the gun. They can beat you in many different ways, unlike our gimmick offense which relies strictly on the passing game and which disintegrates in bad weather conditions that we routinely experience in the Northwest. Any other educating you need? Just let me know.

I don't think this offense relies strictly on the passing game. The last few seasons our offensive line has been so bad that it does look like our offense relies on the passing game since our run game has been crap. I think if we can run the ball this season, it will balance our offense out.

grizcountry420 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

I don't think this offense relies strictly on the passing game. The last few seasons our offensive line has been so bad that it does look like our offense relies on the passing game since our run game has been crap. I think if we can run the ball this season, it will balance our offense out.

This offense will never be very effective running the football. With no tight end, and trying to use a slot receiver as a blocking back, it will be too easy to defend. There will be some big running plays from it, when a defense incorrectly aligns itself to defense our passing game. However, it will never be able to sustain a consistent running game. Too many plays for no-gain or a loss. Wally tries to tell us that our slot receiver can "destroy" defenders running laterally along the line, but a player only getting one step of momentum forward after running laterally will never substitute for a blocking back getting a full head of steam from several yards behind the line.

Please look back to the Portland State game, where we could not pass due to the conditions, and attempted to establish a running game. It went nowhere....... yet PSU ran the ball down our throats all game long using a traditional offensive set.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

I don't disagree with much of the above. I certainly agree with the premise that a strong running game is the key to championships. But, I disagree with the conclusions you have reached. We have yet to see the full evolution of the offense. Stitt's teams at Mines valued the running game - his body of work there has been laid out on this board previously, so I won't rehash the point. We saw him work to establish the run last year, but the team lacked the skills up front to get it done either consistently or effectively. I believe it will be better this year. He has obviously modified the role of his inside receivers.

Also, his system values ball control more that you are giving credit for. I also think this will improve this year.

The bottom line is we need to see a couple more years to make the kind of judgments you seem to want to make right now - with one (very nuanced) season elapsed. We'll see.

SoldierGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

I don't disagree with much of the above. I certainly agree with the premise that a strong running game is the key to championships. But, I disagree with the conclusions you have reached. We have yet to see the full evolution of the offense. Stitt's teams at Mines valued the running game - his body of work there has been laid out on this board previously, so I won't rehash the point. We saw him work to establish the run last year, but the team lacked the skills up front to get it done either consistently or effectively. I believe it will be better this year. He has obviously modified the role of his inside receivers.

Also, his system values ball control more that you are giving credit for. I also think this will improve this year.

The bottom line is we need to see a couple more years to make the kind of judgments you seem to want to make right now - with one (very nuanced) season elapsed. We'll see.

Yeah, ball control. But he has got his priorities wrong. His goal is to run 100 plays, when it should be to score 50 points, no matter how many plays it took. When you feature a pass-first offense, running 100 plays only means that you have many more opportunities to turn the ball over. As Woody Hayes correctly stated....... "only 3 things can happen on a pass play, and 2 of them are bad'.

give me an offense that scores a TD in 5-7 plays, instead of one which needs 10-15 plays to score. Just sayin'.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:

Yeah, ball control. But he has got his priorities wrong. His goal is to run 100 plays, when it should be to score 50 points, no matter how many plays it took. When you feature a pass-first offense, running 100 plays only means that you have many more opportunities to turn the ball over. As Woody Hayes correctly stated....... "only 3 things can happen on a pass play, and 2 of them are bad'.

give me an offense that scores a TD in 5-7 plays, instead of one which needs 10-15 plays to score. Just sayin'.

I'm pretty sure Stitt is OK scoring TDs in 5-7 plays. :lol: Good discussion.

The fundamental problem with his philosophy, in addition to the other problems with it that have been pointed out, is wear and tear on the players..... specifically QB. You aren't going to take 1,300 or 1,400 snaps in a year without a chitload of injuries. You saw that last year at QB. It's flawed from the beginning.

SoldierGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

I'm pretty sure Stitt is OK scoring TDs in 5-7 plays. :lol: Good discussion.

lol right? Stitt will probably lose a lot of sleep if his offense is scoring every 5-7 plays but isn't running the ball enough.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

This is rich, because you spin away from what you were proven wrong on. You said Stitt's offense is like Oregon's, which I pointed out that no, it isn't, but rather it was Pflu's offense that was far closer to Oregon's. The same coach who you've posted very recently about that you've really liked him.

So on one hand you bash Stitt's offense because you think "it's like Oregon's" but then you praise the time we had Pflu, when he ran an Oregon style offense. You're just trying to spin it to keep bashing on Stitt, which we can all tell is your main objective here. You did this to Hauck and to Pflu as well, it's the same old shtick.

grizcountry420 said:
PR and Growler living out their old glory days...

h0A96F8BF

Not quite as funny as the "boys are back in town" GIF but pretty damn close. Nice job 420...

It's funny how obsessive people are here on eGriz but obviously haven't watched Stitt's interviews. At School of Mines they had been in the top ten in T.O.P. so his offense has the potential to be ball hogging. Additionally he has had 1000 yard rushers in his offense so it has the potential to be balanced as well. He has also said that he wants to have the best offensive line in the nation so personally I believe he has his priorities straight and we should see an improved running game.

He likes to run 100+ plays per game which can be argued that it has the potential to increase turnovers for the offense if poorly executed but when done correctly it wears down defenses and scores points. As far as taking 10-15 plays to score I think field position generally determines that but as long as we score I don't really care how many plays it takes... actually I do care, the people who are arguing against 10-15 play drives are the same ones who are complaining about losing the T.O.P. battle. More plays = better T.O.P.= a tired defense.

As far as him going for it on 4th down, a punt is a guaranteed turnover so I kind of get it but personally believe in winning the field position battle. I will give him some credit though because on a few of those 4th down plays it was a good play call but poorly executed by the offense. If we can get better polished and execute better I think it will work great... but then again you can say that about any offense.

People also assume because he is labeled as an offensive genius or whatever that he neglects the defense. He has brought in some hogs for the D-line and has said that stopping the run is a major priority for his defense and for his recruiting philosophy.

People have been saying that he is DII garbage and has no place here because of his coaching quality and a likely inability to recruit. Joe Glenn was DII before coming here, coaches have to start somewhere. I think he has answered the recruiting question already but lets remember that the school of mines was an Engineering school and that limited the type of players he could actually get to play there. Also, he pretty much resurrected a dead program with a horrible record and no history of success.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and give him another year or two to complete his vision.

BWahlberg said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

This is rich, because you spin away from what you were proven wrong on. You said Stitt's offense is like Oregon's, which I pointed out that no, it isn't, but rather it was Pflu's offense that was far closer to Oregon's. The same coach who you've posted very recently about that you've really liked him.

So on one hand you bash Stitt's offense because you think "it's like Oregon's" but then you praise the time we had Pflu, when he ran an Oregon style offense. You're just trying to spin it to keep bashing on Stitt, which we can all tell is your main objective here. You did this to Hauck and to Pflu as well, it's the same old shtick.

Bullsh*t yet again. I never said that Stitt's offense is like Oregon's. I said that teams like Oregon who run the fast break type offense never win the national title. Nice spin job again, Wally, but posters can read, and now you are trying so hard to discredit me, with no results except in your realtor mind.

And, once again, I only bashed Hauck for a couple of reasons. He recruited thugs, and he played "not to lose" in the second half, sitting on a big lead, and letting his opponent back into the games. There are plenty of posts from Alpha and me slamming him for this. I did not like Phenicie and his offense, but Hauck allowed Phen Phen free reign on offense while Bobby concentrated on ST and "D".

Gee, it get old exposing how you mis-quote me to forward your agenda.

I never dissed Pflu.

grizfan406 said:
It's funny how obsessive people are here on eGriz but obviously haven't watched Stitt's interviews. At School of Mines they had been in the top ten in T.O.P. so his offense has the potential to be ball hogging. Additionally he has had 1000 yard rushers in his offense so it has the potential to be balanced as well. He has also said that he wants to have the best offensive line in the nation so personally I believe he has his priorities straight and we should see an improved running game.

He likes to run 100+ plays per game which can be argued that it has the potential to increase turnovers for the offense if poorly executed but when done correctly it wears down defenses and scores points. As far as taking 10-15 plays to score I think field position generally determines that but as long as we score I don't really care how many plays it takes... actually I do care, the people who are arguing against 10-15 play drives are the same ones who are complaining about losing the T.O.P. battle. More plays = better T.O.P.= a tired defense.

As far as him going for it on 4th down, a punt is a guaranteed turnover so I kind of get it but personally believe in winning the field position battle. I will give him some credit though because on a few of those 4th down plays it was a good play call but poorly executed by the offense. If we can get better polished and execute better I think it will work great... but then again you can say that about any offense.

People also assume because he is labeled as an offensive genius or whatever that he neglects the defense. He has brought in some hogs for the D-line and has said that stopping the run is a major priority for his defense and for his recruiting philosophy.

Uh, Joe Glenn won two national Championships in Div. II, and won one here too in his second season of coaching.. Please don't insult Joe by comparing a 15-year basically .500 W/L record in div. II by Stitt to him.

People have been saying that he is DII garbage and has no place here because of his coaching quality and a likely inability to recruit. Joe Glenn was DII before coming here, coaches have to start somewhere. I think he has answered the recruiting question already but lets remember that the school of mines was an Engineering school and that limited the type of players he could actually get to play there. Also, he pretty much resurrected a dead program with a horrible record and no history of success.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and give him another year or two to complete his vision.

grizfan406 said:

Good post but that 4th and short call against Poly where he gave the ball to Gamboa was both a horrible call AND it was poorly executed....It was really just a stupid play. I am sure that Stitt wants that one back....

Good post but that 4th and short call against Poly where he gave the ball to Gamboa was both a horrible call AND it was poorly executed....It was really just a stupid play. I am sure that Stitt wants that one back....

Agree CV, lots of other options for that particular play. Side note, I hate watching the griz play Cal Poly, they give us fits every year it seems with that triple option. You HAVE to with the line of scrimmage when you play a triple option. Silver lining is that it shows you where you need to improve.

grizfan406 said:

Agree CV, lots of other options for that particular play. Side note, I hate watching the griz play Cal Poly, they give us fits every year it seems with that triple option. You HAVE to with the line of scrimmage when you play a triple option. Silver lining is that it shows you where you need to improve.

TG was snake bit defending the triple option. I'm expecting a much better effort and outcome in the future...

grizfan406 said:

And, so it goes. If Stitt had a REAL ability to run the football, he would have no need to try some cutesy play to gain a critical 1st down. Remember, we had Joey Counts ready to pound the rock on that play. so, you give it Gamboa?????

Look, i don't drink the Kool-Aid, which offends some of you "good fans". I don't think Stitt was a good hire, and it is my right to have that opinion. I have given you a plethora of reasons why I think this, many of which have been lamely challenged because they are indefensable. As I posted earlier, I am willing to give Stitt the 2016 to prove me wrong. But I don't think it will happen. A more likely scenario is that many of his supporters will be joining me on the bandwagon come late November/early December.

I will not be happy until we are playing for another NC, and I do not think that Stitt has the ability to get us there. Just my opinion.

Back