• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post game: A team loss

If you look at the games that Montana has played against teams with equal talent (Poly, UNI, and NAU) the Griz are 1-2 and a JLM return from being 0-3.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:
I think you missed my gist. I was saying that JLM's absence was a contributing factor to Brady's nervousness. Not having a reliable outlet was a big issue today. How many dropped balls and blown routes did we see today? This could make the QB question his ball placement, timing, etc. Calm Brady is a pretty good passer. Nervous Brady is not.

I call that a bunch of bullshit. You are just making excuses for his shitty game.

Not really. Just grasping at straws like all of after an ugly game. Lots of stitt to go around for this one. If Brady really is big-time, then things like JLM's absence should not have an effect on his performance against a decent team. He did not play his best today. Just speculating on why.

bhumble said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Slow start killed the Griz ... in case you didn't notice. NAU was hot (especially the QB), the Griz were flat. After that, the Griz played them even.

Data: Score was 14-3 at the end of Q1 ... Griz down by 11. Final score, 45-34 ... Griz lose by 11.

Painful loss, but not the end of the f-in' world. It's amazing to me how so many so-called fans bail on the team at the slightest excuse. Gee ... Stitt and his staff are just horrible. So in their second year together (not all together, of course), they can't go undefeated, so they must be totally incompetent, and crap.

Get a grip!
They only lose by 11 because they got a junk score at the end when the game was out of reach. The Griz should be concerned.

In all honesty, I think they are. They laid an egg against a sub .500 team today. Serious evaluation needs to be made.

bhumble said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Slow start killed the Griz ... in case you didn't notice. NAU was hot (especially the QB), the Griz were flat. After that, the Griz played them even.

Data: Score was 14-3 at the end of Q1 ... Griz down by 11. Final score, 45-34 ... Griz lose by 11.

Painful loss, but not the end of the f-in' world. It's amazing to me how so many so-called fans bail on the team at the slightest excuse. Gee ... Stitt and his staff are just horrible. So in their second year together (not all together, of course), they can't go undefeated, so they must be totally incompetent, and crap.

Get a grip!
They only lose by 11 because they got a junk score at the end when the game was out of reach. The Griz should be concerned.
Concerned, yes. But to read some of the comments on here, you'd think it was the end of the world. Apparently, for some, anything short of perfection is total failure. Odd attitude, since ... end the end ... every team but one is a "loser" with a playoff system.

PDXGrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:
I think you missed my gist. I was saying that JLM's absence was a contributing factor to Brady's nervousness. Not having a reliable outlet was a big issue today. How many dropped balls and blown routes did we see today? This could make the QB question his ball placement, timing, etc. Calm Brady is a pretty good passer. Nervous Brady is not.

I call that a bunch of bullshit. You are just making excuses for his shitty game.

Not really. Just grasping at straws like all of after an ugly game. Lots of stitt to go around for this one. If Brady really is big-time, then things like JLM's absence should not have an effect on his performance against a decent team. He did not play his best today. Just speculating on why.

Yes really. BG struggled, but using JLM as the reason is dumb.

Hopefully this game is the wake-up, refocus, take it to the next level game of the season. Would have rather the team got the benefits via a real close come from behind victory but it doesn't always work that way. We will have to see how season plays out. Nothing lost today but some irrational views on just where this team really is. Griz are still ramping up. Oline is holding us back for sure. Brady seems more rattled by a dirty pocket than a lot of qbs but that doesn't change the fact that he was crowded and hurried all game. Brady doesn't seem to have middling games. He either has a clean pocket and does well or a dirty pocket and real poor accuracy. I doubt Caleb Lyons sees the field after JLM comes back. Just not enough speed or shiftiness. Glad JLM wasn't back for this game. His unwillingness to just take the easy yards and be done may very well have gotten him hurt today. Nau swarming to ball and putting good hits on the ball. Nau sure played well today. I would expect the Griz regroup and perform well next week-but an egg laying wouldn't shock me either. Ewu in the trenches didn't impress me at all today

PDXGrizzly said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Biggest issue was no JLM. When faced with a better team, not having his passion and electricity was a killer. No reliable targets for Brady, this causes Brady to be nervous. We all know that nervous Brady throws 2 miles ahead of anyone. One of the bigfest weakness in the offense; if you can rattle Brady, he comes apart at the seams. SDSU did it, NDSU did it, and now NAU did it.

Defense played like TG was still the DC, over pursuit, out of position, and burned deep. Safety play and tackling was downright bad. Markell Sanders got burned A LOT. The secondary as a whole was picked apart by the 2nd string QB. Did anyone notice that there was next to no QB pressure? That's a big issue, especially with a backup QB in there. He needed to be hit hard and often, but was instead allowed to just sip tea in the backfield and throw deep balls to wide open receivers.
Do overthrows to JLM work differently than overthrows to other receivers...?

JLM has been out the last two weeks too. Arguably Brady's most productive games in Maroon and Silver. I'd say the pressure that NAU was bringing had more to do with how crappy Brady played than anything else, as is his MO.

The know it all posters, who get defensive whenever someone has a critical opinion about the team/coaching staff are awfully quiet right now...

HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:

It is not THE reason. It's is A reason. Combined with other reasons it makes the stitt-show we saw today.

I think the bigger issue is not Brady and JLM. The bigger issue is a failure to recognize that this offense really needs a run threat at QB. Since there is very little play that stretches the field, you don't need a QB with a big arm to overthrow people with. You just need a QB that is a run threat with the read option look. Right now it's completely not respected. If defenses were forced to respect that, then it opens up the A) run game between the tackles and B) the short to intermediate passing game, especially on the boundary.

But I'm just a dumb pedestrian fan who has never played the game.

RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Biggest issue was no JLM. When faced with a better team, not having his passion and electricity was a killer. No reliable targets for Brady, this causes Brady to be nervous. We all know that nervous Brady throws 2 miles ahead of anyone. One of the bigfest weakness in the offense; if you can rattle Brady, he comes apart at the seams. SDSU did it, NDSU did it, and now NAU did it.

Defense played like TG was still the DC, over pursuit, out of position, and burned deep. Safety play and tackling was downright bad. Markell Sanders got burned A LOT. The secondary as a whole was picked apart by the 2nd string QB. Did anyone notice that there was next to no QB pressure? That's a big issue, especially with a backup QB in there. He needed to be hit hard and often, but was instead allowed to just sip tea in the backfield and throw deep balls to wide open receivers.

JLM has been out the last two weeks too. Arguably Brady's most productive games in Maroon and Silver. I'd say the pressure that NAU was bringing had more to do with how crappy Brady played than anything else, as is his MO.

Against the two crappiest teams in FCS. But I get what you are saying.

PDXGrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

It is not THE reason. It's is A reason. Combined with other reasons it makes the stitt-show we saw today.

I think the bigger issue is not Brady and JLM. The bigger issue is a failure to recognize that this offense really needs a run threat at QB. Since there is very little play that stretches the field, you don't need a QB with a big arm to overthrow people with. You just need a QB that is a run threat with the read option look. Right now it's completely not respected. If defenses were forced to respect that, then it opens up the A) run game between the tackles and B) the short to intermediate passing game, especially on the boundary.

As rob stated, Brady had his 2 best game with no JLM. Today's performance is not atypical for BG. No JLM is not a reason that Brady struggled.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:

As rob stated, Brady had his 2 best game with no JLM. Today's performance is not atypical for BG. No JLM is not a reason that Brady struggled.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

On a side note, does anyone know if Calhoun is OK?

PDXGrizzly said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
RobGriz said:

That was kind of my point. Having JLM would've made 0 difference.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Exactly. He showed us exactly who he is.

We started off this game flat and were down 8 at the half. After halftime we are outscored by 17 in the 3rd quarter essentially sealing the deal. What in the hell did this team do or not do at the half?
We just seemed lost and under prepared all game long.

RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Again, might have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for keeping the conversation civil, though. All too often disagreements turn into pissing contests and name calling on this board.

:thumb:
PDXGrizzly said:
RobGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
RobGriz said:

Again, might have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for keeping the conversation civil, though. All too often disagreements turn into pissing contests and name calling on this board.
:thumb:

This is a good example that stats aren't always a good indicator of performance levels. Gustafson went 34 for 59 and 4 tds, but played very badly.

Back