• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pre Season Polls - Big Sky

Catsrgrood said:
Yukon said:
Griz will be top 10 by end of season.

These polls are for Big Sky rankings. So yes, 100% agree with you, the Griz will be in the top 10 of these rankings by seasons end. Trouble in Grizville if not.

:oops: Ya, I hope so. I'll clarify. Griz top 10 nationally by end of season.

Grizzly96 said:
braves84 said:
Grizzly96 said:
debellatio said:
Any time a new coach comes in with a new system the first year is more of a throw away year. I will be fine with a 6-5 season as long as the players play with the intensity and start to get the swagger back that the teams had 10 years ago. The team takes on the attitude of the coach. BH would have never done the air hand shake that Stitt did with Phenicie. He would have shook his hand, looked him in the eye, and said F#ck You.

I disagree on the throw away season, I think the Griz will surprise many, including us fans!! I do agree about the team taking on the attitude of the coach. This is why Stitt had to go, the attitude of the team in all aspects was horrible. Far more accountability and team atmosphere this summer than last talking with players. All the players I’ve spoken to speak highly of Huack and love the change in attitude.

That....whatever it was Stitt did after the ISU game was embarrassing.....
it always gets me when people sit back and criticize former players for their "attitude" and "accountability. " . So you don't think players like kidder, Brandt Davidson, Tucker schye didn't bust their asses for their team., How about Gustafson who came back after breaking his leg, how's his "accountability".
I remember a coach saying something like "the other team has scholarship players too". Every ex-player I know tells me how much it meant for them to line up and play every Saturday, if it didn't mean anything why are they busting their ass off every year in the weight room or wherever to get ready. .
Sorry for the rant. Just my take.

To answer your question...Yes, I believe they busted their asses. All of the players you named. However, the TEAM attitude and mentality was what I was talking about. As an ex-player I also agree it was a privilege to line up on Saturdays and it did mean something. With that said, some coaches have the ability to create an attitude and mentality that the whole team wants to run through a brick wall for them. When that happens teams come together and succeed. On the other hand, some coaches make it feel like you are hitting a brick wall(no involvement outside of practice, distant to players, make it seem like it’s just a job, do as I say not as I do, etc...)and they start busting their ass for themselves because their is no “TEAM”.

This is not a shot at any player and I have no doubt of the efforts, but when a head coach is that way it makes playing as a team tough. I’ve heard from players that Huack has personally waited for players at the M at 5am for being late to class, meetings, etc....That’s the attitude I’m talking about and it was lacking under Stitt. When your head coach is waiting on you, that’s when shit gets real. Huack also has an open door policy for any player and actually gets to know them, that was not the case under Stitt. Their was always a disconnect with Stitt and the team, outside of a very few select players.

I honestly believe that some very good players and possible teams the last few years underachieved because of this kind of attitude. I have not heard of any players missing summer conditioning or PRP’s this summer like in the last few years. While a coach can’t technically make them do it, it can be more than understood it is expected. That’s the attitude I’m talking about and believe that will be the difference this season and this team will surprise. They will start the RTD!!!

Very well said Griz96. I totally agree.

Yukon said:
Catsrgrood said:
Yukon said:

These polls are for Big Sky rankings. So yes, 100% agree with you, the Griz will be in the top 10 of these rankings by seasons end. Trouble in Grizville if not.

Outside of blind loyalty, I see no reason a person could come to this conclusion.....zero....nada.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
Catsrgrood said:
Yukon said:

Outside of blind loyalty, I see no reason a person could come to this conclusion.....zero....nada.
It's been discussed at nauseum. Some people have faith that we will have a good team this year and some others feel this team will suck. I feel we have a good team that now has great coaching and will have a good to great year. I'm a glass half full and optimistic type guy and love the Griz. If I looked at a team I love and gave them no chance any given year, why be a fan. Yes, I'm loyal to this team. Wish more were. Guess we will find out who is more correct at the end of the season. And then the next, then the next, then the next, etc.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
Catsrgrood said:
Yukon said:

You bad fan you! No, seriously, I agree 100%. I guess the Big Sky coaches who picked us 7th, and many of whom played against our returning athletes last season, don't know sh*t by ranking us below six other teams. And yet, we will finish the season ranked in the top 10 nationally???

Our fan base is starting to resemble the annual over-hyped pre-season predictions of our little brother in Bozo-land. We love to make fun of them for doing so every year, and yet so many of us are doing the same thing, with no basis for doing do. I guess all of the holes on defense, no depth at key positions, a QB who has never taken a snap for the Griz, etc., mean nothing to these glass half full fans.

My fear is that, the unreasonable expectations of our fan base will cause people to get down on Hauck if he doesn't immediately start dominating. Be patient and allow him some time to get the roster back into shape after the Stitt-show left him with more of a Sac. State roster than a traditional Grizzly roster.

4theluvofgriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
Catsrgrood said:

You bad fan you! No, seriously, I agree 100%. I guess the Big Sky coaches who picked us 7th, and many of whom played against our returning athletes last season, don't know sh*t by ranking us below six other teams. And yet, we will finish the season ranked in the top 10 nationally???

Our fan base is starting to resemble the annual over-hyped pre-season predictions of our little brother in Bozo-land. We love to make fun of them for doing so every year, and yet so many of us are doing the same thing, with no basis for doing do. I guess all of the holes on defense, no depth at key positions, a QB who has never taken a snap for the Griz, etc., mean nothing to these glass half full fans.

My fear is that, the unreasonable expectations of our fan base will cause people to get down on Hauck if he doesn't immediately start dominating. Be patient and allow him some time to get the roster back into shape after the Stitt-show left him with more of a Sac. State roster than a traditional Grizzly roster.
I'm looking forward to 2018 season (as every season). Feel free to return when you think the Griz will be up to your standards.

Yukon said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
Catsrgrood said:

It's been discussed at nauseum. Some people have faith that we will have a good team this year and some others feel this team will suck. I feel we have a good team that now has great coaching and will have a good to great year. I'm a glass half full and optimistic type guy and love the Griz. If I looked at a team I love and gave them no chance any given year, why be a fan. Yes, I'm loyal to this team. Wish more were. Guess we will find out who is more correct at the end of the season. And then the next, then the next, then the next, etc.

I am all for winning National Championships and rooting for them to win every game. But when I rationally sit down and look at this team, the inexperience, the holes and lack of depth, this programs inability to win on the road against even average teams, I see 6-7 wins. I definitely don't see a top 10 team.

4theluvofgriz said:
Our fan base is starting to resemble the annual over-hyped pre-season predictions of our little brother in Bozo-land. We love to make fun of them for doing so every year, and yet so many of us are doing the same thing, with no basis for doing do.

:lol:
ya...this is a brand new thing that JUST started happening....

HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:

I am all for winning National Championships and rooting for them to win every game. But when I rationally sit down and look at this team, the inexperience, the holes and lack of depth, this programs inability to win on the road against even average teams, I see 6-7 wins. I definitely don't see a top 10 team.

Where are the holes? Where is the lack of depth? I don't see any of note on on the offense. I am hearing the o-line should be fine and will improve as the season goes on and the young guys get experience. On D, it will hurt if Buss is not available. There is depth at corner, but it's not clear how many starter-quality players are there. Certainly one, as he showed it last year.

I am hoping for more than 6 wins.

I didn't see the the inability of the team to win on the road as a "program" issue. I saw it as a coach or Stitt issue. This improved last year, as the Griz were 2-2 on the road in the conference. I don't see a top 10 team either

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Where are the holes? Where is the lack of depth? I don't see any of note on on the offense. I am hearing the o-line should be fine and will improve as the season goes on and the young guys get experience. On D, it will hurt if Buss is not available. There is depth at corner, but it's not clear how many starter-quality players are there. Certainly one, as he showed it last year.

I didn't see the the inability of the team to win on the road as a "program" issue. I saw it as a coach or Stitt issue. This improved last year, as the Griz were 2-2 on the road in the conference. I don't see a top 10 team either

Well, I did say road win against average teams, which neither road win last year was against. To get 8 wins, this team must win all home games and 2 road games...and I struggle to see that. Corner is a huge question mark, and depth there is a big issue. Without Buss, there are questions at LB and I am not sure what type of pressure they can get on the QB from the DE position. As for the offense, the OL may be okay, but right now, with 4 new starters and no proven depth behind them does not sing top 10. The QB position could turn out to be fine, but no one really knows what they will get from the transfers. And I don't care what anyone says, but overall the receiving corp last year was average, way to many drops and poor routes, and until I see that improved, I am not going to think they are more than average. I continually state that as of right now I see them as a 6-7 win team. This doesn't mean that as we see this team beginning in September, and some of these question marks are answered in a positive way, that this team can't be more successful.

7-4 and I agree with PR. There is nothing to suggest we are “weak” at any position other than people who have nothing better to do to than over analyze and become let down before the season starts.
Carry on.....and Go Griz!

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yukon said:

Well, I did say road win against average teams, which neither road win last year was against. To get 8 wins, this team must win all home games and 2 road games...and I struggle to see that. Corner is a huge question mark, and depth there is a big issue. Without Buss, there are questions at LB and I am not sure what type of pressure they can get on the QB from the DE position. As for the offense, the OL may be okay, but right now, with 4 new starters and no proven depth behind them does not sing top 10. The QB position could turn out to be fine, but no one really knows what they will get from the transfers. And I don't care what anyone says, but overall the receiving corp last year was average, way to many drops and poor routes, and until I see that improved, I am not going to think they are more than average. I continually state that as of right now I see them as a 6-7 win team. This doesn't mean that as we see this team beginning in September, and some of these question marks are answered in a positive way, that this team can't be more successful.

Any road win in the conference is a good win, in my view. Almost all conference raid games are dangerous. So, looks like we don't agree there.

Corner is an issue, but having watched the corners in some practices, and seeing and hearing how the new coach communicated with them, I feel better about the situation. The corners are generally tall and athletic. I feel good to very good about the qb situation. We don't agree on the qb situation.

The receivers are very good and a strength of the team. They were good last year. Curran is pre-season first team all conference. JLM is very good, with even better potential. Both sophomores are very good. And there is more depth. The coaches have said the receivers are very good. You and I completely disagree there.

To me, there's a big difference between 6 and 7 wins.

PlayerRep said:
Any road win in the conference is a good win, in my view. Almost all conference raid games are dangerous. So, looks like we don't agree there.

I didn't say anything about road wins not being a good win.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Corner is an issue, but having watched the corners in some practices, and seeing and hearing how the new coach communicated with them, I feel better about the situation. The corners are generally tall and athletic. I feel good to very good about the qb situation. We don't agree on the qb situation.

The receivers are very good and a strength of the team. They were good last year. Curran is pre-season first team all conference. JLM is very good, with even better potential. Both sophomores are very good. And there is more depth. The coaches have said the receivers are very good. You and I completely disagree there.

I agree with this and would like to add that I think the TE position will be very strong as well. We all know Bingham is a strength there, but I’ve been hearing from players that Hill has been really doing well. Last I heard he is up to around 240 and has improved tremendously with blocking. I could see a lot of 2TE sets and with their athleticism they will create mismatches all over the field. That will also help with some much needed and greatly missed ball control, which in turn helps the defense stay fresh. I see 7-8 wins just on improved coaching alone, more if they get on a roll.

PlayerRep said:
I feel good to very good about the qb situation. We don't agree on the qb situation.

Not sure I would say we disagree. I am taking the "wait and see approach" with the QB position until I see some game reps in September. I never once said the QB position was bad, just an unknown.

PlayerRep said:

The receivers need to clean it up and cut down on the drops. If they do, then you could be right.

Grizzly96 said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

I agree with this and would like to add that I think the TE position will be very strong as well. We all know Bingham is a strength there, but I’ve been hearing from players that Hill has been really doing well. Last I heard he is up to around 240 and has improved tremendously with blocking. I could see a lot of 2TE sets and with their athleticism they will create mismatches all over the field. That will also help with some much needed and greatly missed ball control, which in turn helps the defense stay fresh. I see 7-8 wins just on improved coaching alone, more if they get on a roll.

This is exactly how I see it. With better coaching, better ST, better utilization of some of the players strengths, simplified offense I can see 7-8 wins. My biggest fear is defensive scheme.....if we have to get gimmicky to overcome some of the holes (Buss, CB) I can see us having to "outscore" teams to win and I'm not certain they're up for that in year one.

AZGrizFan said:
My biggest fear is defensive scheme.....if we have to get gimmicky to overcome some of the holes (Buss, CB) I can see us having to "outscore" teams to win and I'm not certain they're up for that in year one.

I have been informed that there are no holes.

AZGrizFan said:
My biggest fear is defensive scheme.....if we have to get gimmicky to overcome some of the holes (Buss, CB) I can see us having to "outscore" teams to win and I'm not certain they're up for that in year one.

This is a large reason that I am skeptical about them winning on the road.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizzly96 said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

This is exactly how I see it. With better coaching, better ST, better utilization of some of the players strengths, simplified offense I can see 7-8 wins. My biggest fear is defensive scheme.....if we have to get gimmicky to overcome some of the holes (Buss, CB) I can see us having to "outscore" teams to win and I'm not certain they're up for that in year one.

I have the same fear to an certain degree, but again it comes down to coaching for me. I believe just having a coach that places an importance on defense helps it improve. Same with special teams, which were almost non existent the last few years outside the occasional JLM being JLM.

I think we see a harder nosed, more physical defense this year. I also see the best athletes on the field in all positions and even on special teams. Defense should be able to last the whole game instead of tiring out come third qtr because the offense will help that out. I also see actual adjustments made in game to what the other team is doing, won’t that be refreshing!!

I have my reservations about a lot of the same issues, but hearing the players talk it’s a different attitude going into this year. They are excited and ready to prove a lot of people, including us fans, wrong. That’s really not been the case the last few years.

Latest posts

Back