• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The case for Ty Gregorak

Status
Not open for further replies.
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Gregorek is a proven commodity which is why anyone with a fu*king brain would want him out of here ASAP
Yup!

Nope.

scarecrow1.JPG

With all due respect PR, all Egriz posters know why you want TG as HC. C'mon just don't be so obvious about it......

CV Griz Fan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Gregorek is a proven commodity which is why anyone with a fu*king brain would want him out of here ASAP

I am not trying to over simplify Ty's HC chances but as a poster said in another thread "let's see how the D does against Eastern". If the Griz win in Cheney, and the D plays well, Ty can probably ride the "mo" to the HC job. If the Griz lose big, and the D gets torched by VA and Co., the "torches and pitchforks" mentality in Griz Nation will start up all over again .....
That's just the way it is around here.
I lost my pitchfork after the Cat game, but I still have my torch.

CV Griz Fan said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:

Nope.

scarecrow1.JPG

With all due respect PR, all Egriz posters know why you want TG as HC. C'mon just don't be so obvious about it......

Do they? Please tell us why you think I want TG to be the head coach. I guess I'm the only egriz poster that doesn't know that.

Also, for the record, I don't want TG to be the head coach. I just want some of egriz and Griz Nation to realize that he should be considered for HC. He is a terrific candidate. After I see the finalists, then I'll decide who I think is the best candidate.

Speaking for myself, it's because his wife Candice is beautiful, and a lot of fun at road games, and because on Halloween, Ty becomes my favorite Super Hero, and because his son is a future linebacker.

He played the game, payed his dues learning under respected coaches, FTC, and provides the Program with the best defense in the Big Sky.

RE fired the Coach Of The Year, it's beginning to look like EGrizzers are no different than RE at casting off our own.

Just MHO

spsyk said:
Speaking for myself, it's because his wife Candice is beautiful, and a lot of fun at road games, and because on Halloween, Ty becomes my favorite Super Hero, and because his son is a future linebacker.

He played the game, payed his dues learning under respected coaches, FTC, and provides the Program with the best defense in the Big Sky.

RE fired the Coach Of The Year, it's beginning to look like EGrizzers are no different than RE at casting off our own.

Just MHO

I'm not sure it's about casting off our own spsyk. For me it's simply about finding the best candidate and not just promoting from within because it's the path of least resistance. If he truly is the best candidate then he should get the job. Whether he is or not is the big question and one only Haslam can answer.

Sea Bass said:
spsyk said:

Just MHO

I'm not sure it's about casting off our own spsyk. For me it's simply about finding the best candidate and not just promoting from within because it's the path of least resistance. If he truly is the best candidate then he should get the job. Whether he is or not is the big question and one only Haslam can answer.

Exactly.

Let me ask you this, Spysk. If someone on the current Griz staff became head coach in the next couple weeks. Anyone, Gragg, Gregorak, Hynson, Green, Legi. Anyone. Would that person be the best head coach in the Big Sky Conference?

Would that person hired from the Griz staff be one of the 10 best coaches in FCS?
That's all this job search should be about, making sure that the next head coach is the best head coach in conference and at least one of the 10 best in FCS. If there's a Griz assistant who is ready to be the best head coach in the Big Sky on day one, then great. Hire him.

If that coach is a project who might be the best head coach after a few years, then he shouldn't even be considered.
The Griz have a lot of momentum right now with a new academic center, new locker rooms and weight rooms approved for construction. Why match the excitement of that progress with anyone less than the best.

Answer this question: Why is Ty Gregorak a better head coach than Beau Baldwin? I'm sure Brint and Playerep will help you out.

griz4life said:
Sea Bass said:
spsyk said:

Just MHO

Exactly.

Let me ask you this, Spysk. If someone on the current Griz staff became head coach in the next couple weeks. Anyone, Gragg, Gregorak, Hynson, Green, Legi. Anyone. Would that person be the best head coach in the Big Sky Conference?

Would that person hired from the Griz staff be one of the 10 best coaches in FCS?
That's all this job search should be about, making sure that the next head coach is the best head coach in conference and at least one of the 10 best in FCS. If there's a Griz assistant who is ready to be the best head coach in the Big Sky on day one, then great. Hire him.

If that coach is a project who might be the best head coach after a few years, then he shouldn't even be considered.
The Griz have a lot of momentum right now with a new academic center, new locker rooms and weight rooms approved for construction. Why match the excitement of that progress with anyone less than the best.

Answer this question: Why is Ty Gregorak a better head coach than Beau Baldwin? I'm sure Brint and Playerep will help you out.

You are living in a dream world. It is highly unlikely that UM's next coach will be the best head coach in the conference.

Who is the best coach in the conference now? Kramer was coach of the year. Baldwin seems to be a good coach, maybe a very good coach. I agree that Baldwin would be a top candidate if he were interested. However, Haslam would have to determine that Baldwin would be able to be a terrific coach at UM. That is not just automatic. Is his success at EWU based in part on bringing in low qualifiers or players with a checkered past, which UM/Engstrom wouldn't allow at UM? Would he do well in recruiting in Montana? Who would his assistants be? While all of these types of questions may check out to be fine or good for Baldwin, they would need to be evaluated. I don't know who Baldwin's DC is now, but Baldwin and TG know each other, as TG coached a year at CWU before he came back to UM.

How could you think that a head coach at a D-II or D-III, or an OC or DC somewhere, would immediately be the best head coach at UM? That's unrealistic. In fact, just plain silly.

I agree that UM has some momentum now, but most of the momentum is coming from the success of the team (and coaches) the past 2 years. The facilities stuff will be more important in the future. Getting all the scholarships back in a year or so, will also help. Having a good qb next year will also be important.

Spysk is right-on with his analysis and thoughts in this thread. TG deserves to be given a good look and be a finalist.

Sea Bass said:
spsyk said:

Just MHO

I agree about finding the best candidate. However, my concern is that UM (and some fans) don't just assume that the grass is greener with someone who is not associated with UM. To me, hiring from outside is riskier than promoting a good candidate from within or taking someone who has strong ties to UM and Montana already.

Probably best to say that Baldwin and Gregorak happened to coach at different times at the same school. I don't think they ever worked together.

Beau Baldwin was in his third season as Eastern's head coach when Gregorak coached tight ends for Central Washington for Blaine Bennett.

The connection between Gregorak and then CWU head coach Blaine Bennett is a Spokane one, not an Eastern one. The Bennett family is well known in the Spokane because of their connections to Whitworth.

Hiring from within has worked for our men's basketball team (Jud, Brandenberg, Monty, Stu, Taylor, Holst, Krysko, Tinks and now Travis. (We did stub our toe badly when Hogan hired his buddy Pat Kennedy from outside the GRIZ family.)

And it has worked within our football team as well: Don Read, Mick Dennehy, Joe Glenn, Bobby Hauck, Robin Pflugrad, and Mick Delaney. (True, Robin had some off-the-field problems that needed correcting, and had he been given the chance, he would have corrected them.)

So all of these voices opposed to promoting from within, what is your opposition based on ?
I realize this may not have worked at the University of Michigan, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, etc., but I am talking about our UM, not theirs

billingsgriz said:
Hiring from within has worked for our men's basketball team (Jud, Brandenberg, Monty, Stu, Taylor, Holst, Krysko, Tinks and now Travis. (We did stub our toe badly when Hogan hired his buddy Pat Kennedy from outside the GRIZ family.)

I sure don't think Don Holst was an in-house hire that worked well. To have the talented players that Holst had and to perform as poorly as they did, with the exception of one weekend in
Bozo, there really was no reason to keep the guy.

His players sure didn't respect him. How do you respect a guy who not only coaches poorly but does so while his flabby abs keep tensing up from his electro shock weight-reducing fat belt? The guy was a joke, the best example of what happens when your coaching tree never forks.

billingsgriz said:
So all of these voices opposed to promoting from within, what is your opposition based on ?
No problem hiring a former "within" like Pease, who is clearly qualified for the job. But the opposition to hiring a current assistant is based simply on a strong belief that they do not stack up well against other available options. The anecdote that the Kennedy hire was a bad one is being overused, particularly when it has little relevance to this situation. You like do discount Read (who redefined the program), while touting Huack, whose Montana playing/coaching experience consisted of one grad. assistant year 15 years prior to coming in as HC. Please take your argument to Haslam, who will be making the decision; you've made your opinion over and over here and you provide nothing new.

kemajic said:
The anecdote that the Kennedy hire was a bad one is being overused, particularly when it has little relevance to this situation. You like do discount Read (who redefined the program), while touting Huack, whose Montana playing/coaching experience consisted of one grad. assistant year 15 years prior to coming in as HC.
Read is an outstanding example of "going outside" when you need to fix a "broken" program. And we lucked out there. As noted, Wyoming has been trying the same thing, with less than stellar results, but there really isn't an alternative.

Our program isn't "broken."

UMGriz75 said:
kemajic said:
The anecdote that the Kennedy hire was a bad one is being overused, particularly when it has little relevance to this situation. You like do discount Read (who redefined the program), while touting Huack, whose Montana playing/coaching experience consisted of one grad. assistant year 15 years prior to coming in as HC.
Read is an outstanding example of "going outside" when you need to fix a "broken" program. And we lucked out there. As noted, Wyoming has been trying the same thing, with less than stellar results, but there really isn't an alternative.

Our program isn't "broken."
Programs don't go outside only when they are "broken." They go outside when they want to get better. We want to get better. Our last NC was 2001.

griz4life said:
Probably best to say that Baldwin and Gregorak happened to coach at different times at the same school. I don't think they ever worked together.

Beau Baldwin was in his third season as Eastern's head coach when Gregorak coached tight ends for Central Washington for Blaine Bennett.

The connection between Gregorak and then CWU head coach Blaine Bennett is a Spokane one, not an Eastern one. The Bennett family is well known in the Spokane because of their connections to Whitworth.

Okay, thanks for correction on the CWU coaching connection. My mistake. Anyway, TG and Baldwin know each other fairly well. Perhaps it's more of a Spokane area connection, and perhaps even neighboring lake places. They spend time together each summer.

kemajic said:
billingsgriz said:
No problem hiring a former "within" like Pease, who is clearly qualified for the job. But the opposition to hiring a current assistant is based simply on a strong belief that they do not stack up well against other available options. The anecdote that the Kennedy hire was a bad one is being overused, particularly when it has little relevance to this situation. You like do discount Read (who redefined the program), while touting Huack, whose Montana playing/coaching experience consisted of one grad. assistant year 15 years prior to coming in as HC. Please take your argument to Haslam, who will be making the decision; you've made your opinion over and over here and you provide nothing new.

Hauck attended UM and grew up in MT. He was hardly an outsider. I believe Haslam has asked billingsgriz to go back to egriz, and try to straighten out some people, like yourself.

PlayerRep said:
Sea Bass said:
spsyk said:

Just MHO

I agree about finding the best candidate. However, my concern is that UM (and some fans) don't just assume that the grass is greener with someone who is not associated with UM. To me, hiring from outside is riskier than promoting a good candidate from within or taking someone who has strong ties to UM and Montana already.

I'm just glad I'm an "arm chair" AD and don't have to make the decision. This is a very exciting (and nerve wracking) time for UM football. My personal wish list would be to bring in a more offensive minded head coach and keep Ty on as the DC. I just honestly don't know who that would be. Can't wait to see the "finalists" list though.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
billingsgriz said:

Hauck attended UM and grew up in MT. He was hardly an outsider. I believe Haslam has asked billingsgriz to go back to egriz, and try to straighten out some people, like yourself.
Thanks for your contribution; since the Haucks went to High School 40 miles away, I was pretty well aware of their education. But getting back to relevance, please describe the extent of BH's football playing and coaching at UM prior to becoming HC. In getting BH, we got far more Neuheisel than we got Montana. Haslam's top target today is not a current UM assistant.

griz4life said:
I sure don't think Don Holst was an in-house hire that worked well. To have the talented players that Holst had and to perform as poorly as they did, with the exception of one weekend in Bozo, there really was no reason to keep the guy.
Don was a good example of too much commitment to "promoting from within." Like everything, you can have too much of it. He was a good guy who just didn't have the personality to be head coach. That's the other side of the coin here; entrusting decisions to the guy in one office, about the futures and livelihoods of friends and their families in offices just down the hallway. Some think it would be great fun to be an AD. I don't think so at all.

griz4life said:
Sea Bass said:
spsyk said:

Just MHO

Exactly.

Grizforlife,

I'll try to answer your question the best I can, since I’m a non paid poster in this forum, and have no input whats so ever for the decision to be made by Haslam and Engstrom.

If we hire within the present coaching staff, don’t know for sure, although we do know what we have and what has been accomplished as far as TG is concerned.

There are some variables as far as getting the best coach that is possible, and that #1 variable is salary, and the salary being offer for the HC at the UM is not going to get what you appear to fantasize about.

Baldwin is fine where he is at, and just for a moment, think about it and let me know how you would feel about a coach that left you program in a lateral change.

Me, personally would not look favorable at him as far as character, not even considering his coaching ability

Speaking for myself that is why Ty Gregork is a better coach for the UM than Baldwin…

Now, my endorsement for TG for HC is my endorsement that he should be consider as a candidate for the position, and let the chips fall where they fall.

Now, if I still believe in Santa Clause my wish from him would be to get Brent Pease, and retain Gregork,Gragg,Green,and Legi. and included in that wish, a new single OC. hopefully not Gragg.

That would be my wish, highly unlikely, because of the Santa Clause thing, not sure he is real, just like it is not possible to get the best coach in the world for the money paid for the job at the UM.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas

What will be, will be, and we all still have Egriz to vent frustration, and I’m OK with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back