• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sneed vs. Bauman

BadlandsGrizFan said:
ABQCat said:
Let me introduce this respectable group of rational fans to Casey Bauman, a 247Sports 3 star recruit. https://www.hudl.com/profile/3330694/Casey-Bauman

5d51b815ef873.image.jpg

Bauman is physical specimen at 6’7” and 240 pounds and a rocket arm, and he’s surprisingly athletic and moves quite well for his size. Is he another Andersen or Murray (or Sneed for that matter)? Nope. Not even in the same universe as those guys, but he’s plenty good enough to pick up some first downs when necessary. In his HS career he had 26 rushing touchdowns to go with his 65 passing touchdowns. He very well put together and benefited greatly from a year in the weight room during his RS year. This idea floating around this site that he’s somehow fragile and destined for an injury is fake news.

Also of note is that Nuanez brothers were on record pretty early that he was clearly the best choice for QB1 based on their assessment from the first handful of practices, and it wasn’t even close. He earned this spot in a fair and open competition.

Just for fun, here’s a link that shows him shattering the glass on a baseline dunk in a HS basketball game. He’s athletic folks. https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/05/msu-commit-shatters-backboard-dunk/1009060001/

So what’s the problem? He came from a small HS and he is still developing his ability to read and make good decisions when bullets are flying. The Cats will need to simplify that offense early in the season and let the kid develop at a metered pace. The Cats will need to be effective in the run game led by Ifanse and the very experienced OL. If the Cats win against SEMO and WIU it will be because we were running downhill most of the game and Bauman did a good enough job finding the check downs and short-range guys that are open due to scheme and good play calling.

The Cat receivers need to elevate their game, particularly with the 50 50 balls. Bauman will need to go downfield several times a game, and particularly early in the season, they will be mostly prayers. Jonsen has already proven himself as a guy who will win the 50 50 ball, and as you recall did a good job in last years Brawl. McCutcheon needs to improve dramatically, and it’s been a point of emphasis for him starting last spring. He’s making great strides this fall camp and even won Player of the Day once for attacking the ball at the highest point. Kassis will continue to be steady and effective and will be the primary target in the short and medium range throws.

As has been well documented, the Cats have a very favorable conference schedule. Even with a 1-3 start, it very possible (even probable) that the Cats win their first 6 conference games even with a developing freshman QB. A trip down to UC Davis and the Brawl in games 7 and 8 will make or break the season. As has been the case lately, I can easily see the winner of the Brawl getting a playoff spot and the other season coming to a close.

Does he always throw with his eyes closed? I like this guy already.

use the "force" :thumb:

Rest assured if we had a 6'7", 240 lb RS Freshman QB on the roster people here would literally be creaming themselves....

ABQCat said:
Let me introduce this respectable group of rational fans to Casey Bauman, a 247Sports 3 star recruit. https://www.hudl.com/profile/3330694/Casey-Bauman

This idea floating around this site that he’s somehow fragile and destined for an injury is fake news.

Hey, bud! I know it's not a smooth-brained concept, but I don't think you're quite understanding the injury thing. The absolute worst case scenario for Choach would be for this kid to come out firing on all cylinders.

ABQCat said:

5d51b815ef873.image.jpg

Bauman is physical specimen at 6’7” and 240 pounds and a rocket arm, and he’s surprisingly athletic and moves quite well for his size. Is he another Andersen or Murray (or Sneed for that matter)? Nope. Not even in the same universe as those guys, but he’s plenty good enough to pick up some first downs when necessary. In his HS career he had 26 rushing touchdowns to go with his 65 passing touchdowns. He very well put together and benefited greatly from a year in the weight room during his RS year. This idea floating around this site that he’s somehow fragile and destined for an injury is fake news.

Also of note is that Nuanez brothers were on record pretty early that he was clearly the best choice for QB1 based on their assessment from the first handful of practices, and it wasn’t even close. He earned this spot in a fair and open competition.

Just for fun, here’s a link that shows him shattering the glass on a baseline dunk in a HS basketball game. He’s athletic folks. https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/05/msu-commit-shatters-backboard-dunk/1009060001/

So what’s the problem? He came from a small HS and he is still developing his ability to read and make good decisions when bullets are flying. The Cats will need to simplify that offense early in the season and let the kid develop at a metered pace. The Cats will need to be effective in the run game led by Ifanse and the very experienced OL. If the Cats win against SEMO and WIU it will be because we were running downhill most of the game and Bauman did a good enough job finding the check downs and short-range guys that are open due to scheme and good play calling.

The Cat receivers need to elevate their game, particularly with the 50 50 balls. Bauman will need to go downfield several times a game, and particularly early in the season, they will be mostly prayers. Jonsen has already proven himself as a guy who will win the 50 50 ball, and as you recall did a good job in last years Brawl. McCutcheon needs to improve dramatically, and it’s been a point of emphasis for him starting last spring. He’s making great strides this fall camp and even won Player of the Day once for attacking the ball at the highest point. Kassis will continue to be steady and effective and will be the primary target in the short and medium range throws.

As has been well documented, the Cats have a very favorable conference schedule. Even with a 1-3 start, it very possible (even probable) that the Cats win their first 6 conference games even with a developing freshman QB. A trip down to UC Davis and the Brawl in games 7 and 8 will make or break the season. As has been the case lately, I can easily see the winner of the Brawl getting a playoff spot and the other season coming to a close.

Rovig was a 3 star too...just sayin :)

BadlandsGrizFan said:
All I got out of this was that Choatle has established the "Player of the Day" award over in Bozeman......man you guys do the cutest shit.
:lol:
And all you have to do to win Player of the Day is attack the ball at the highest point once. Second place went to the guy who blocked once. Third place was the guy who almost mastered the double knot.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Rest assured if we had a 6'7", 240 lb RS Freshman QB on the roster people here would literally be creaming themselves....

We did! Brady Gus! :)

:lol: :lol:

Gus never weighed even close to 240 soaking wet. :ugeek:

HookedonGriz said:
If a few balls bounce the other way, we'd be reading this:

Rovig is physical specimen at 6’5” and 205 pounds and a rocket arm, and he’s extremely mobile for his height. Is he another Andersen or Murray (or Sneed for that matter)? Nope. Not even in the same universe as those guys, but he’s plenty good enough to pick up some first downs when necessary. People forget that he was going to be the starter last year before his injury in the Idaho Bowl. He is very well put together and benefited greatly from a year in the weight room during the offseason. This idea floating around this site that he’s somehow fragile and destined for an injury is fake news.

Also of note is that Menendez brothers were on record pretty early that he was clearly the best choice for QB1 based on their assessment from the first handful of practices, and it wasn’t even close. He earned this spot in a fair and open competition.

Just for fun, here’s a link that shows him executing a perfect layup and then striping a 5 wood out of the thick rough in cargo shorts. He’s athletic folks.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shs7KwWo3I4[/media]

So what’s the problem? He came from an Idaho HS and he is still developing his ability to read and make good decisions when bullets are flying. The Cats will need to simplify that offense early in the season and let the kid develop at a metered pace. The Cats will need to be effective in the run game led by Ifanse and the very experienced OL. If the Cats win against SEMO and WIU it will be because we were running downhill most of the game and Bauman did a good enough job finding the check downs and short-range guys that are open due to scheme and good play calling.

The Cat receivers need to elevate their game, particularly with the 50 50 balls. Rovig will need to go downfield several times a game, and particularly early in the season, they will be mostly prayers. Jonsen has already proven himself as a guy who will win the 50 50 ball, and as you recall did a good job in last years Brawl. McCutcheon needs to improve dramatically, and it’s been a point of emphasis for him starting last spring. He’s making great strides this fall camp and even won Player of the Day once for attacking the ball at the highest point. Kassis will continue to be steady and effective and will be the primary target in the short and medium range throws.

ABQCat said:
The Cat receivers need to elevate their game, particularly with the 50 50 balls. Bauman will need to go downfield several times a game, and particularly early in the season, they will be mostly prayers. Jonsen has already proven himself as a guy who will win the 50 50 ball

Yes lots of 50-50 balls! And I like your reference about puking up “mostly prayers.” Savvy. Apt.
DumbCat88 already let it slip from the closed scrimmage about this—the gold standard for a C.A.T. QB is 50% completions and 1:1 tds to ints (which Beaumaun almost met!). We call it the C.A.T. 50-50 rule around here, and I’m glad to see you embrace it

CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:

Rovig is physical specimen at 6’5” and 205 pounds and a rocket arm, and he’s extremely mobile for his height. Is he another Andersen or Murray (or Sneed for that matter)? Nope. Not even in the same universe as those guys, but he’s plenty good enough to pick up some first downs when necessary. People forget that he was going to be the starter last year before his injury in the Idaho Bowl. He is very well put together and benefited greatly from a year in the weight room during the offseason. This idea floating around this site that he’s somehow fragile and destined for an injury is fake news.

Also of note is that Menendez brothers were on record pretty early that he was clearly the best choice for QB1 based on their assessment from the first handful of practices, and it wasn’t even close. He earned this spot in a fair and open competition.

Just for fun, here’s a link that shows him executing a perfect layup and then striping a 5 wood out of the thick rough in cargo shorts. He’s athletic folks.

So what’s the problem? He came from an Idaho HS and he is still developing his ability to read and make good decisions when bullets are flying. The Cats will need to simplify that offense early in the season and let the kid develop at a metered pace. The Cats will need to be effective in the run game led by Ifanse and the very experienced OL. If the Cats win against SEMO and WIU it will be because we were running downhill most of the game and Bauman did a good enough job finding the check downs and short-range guys that are open due to scheme and good play calling.

The Cat receivers need to elevate their game, particularly with the 50 50 balls. Rovig will need to go downfield several times a game, and particularly early in the season, they will be mostly prayers. Jonsen has already proven himself as a guy who will win the 50 50 ball, and as you recall did a good job in last years Brawl. McCutcheon needs to improve dramatically, and it’s been a point of emphasis for him starting last spring. He’s making great strides this fall camp and even won Player of the Day once for attacking the ball at the highest point. Kassis will continue to be steady and effective and will be the primary target in the short and medium range throws.

This is a great post and I agree. Rovig is one hell of a QB2 and the Cats are in great shape at that position for the foreseeable future. I credit Coach Jeff Choate's ability to recruit and develop exceptional quarterbacks.

ABQCat said:
This is a great post and I agree. Rovig is one hell of a QB2 and the Cats are in great shape at that position for the foreseeable future. I credit Coach Jeff Choate's ability to recruit and develop exceptional quarterbacks.

Rovig might even be better than Baumann. You might not remember this, but he was going to be the starter before getting hurt last season. I agree that Choach has proven that he is incredible at recruiting QBs to QBU. I know everyone in the media says he's a simpleton and what not, but I think he's actually smart as a tack.

The Big Sky could very well come down to who gets the bounces on 50/50 balls, you'd have to like those odds as a fan.

CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:

My goodness you are always on your A game but I must say you are especially on point early this preseason. I hope you can continue this genius banter throughout the entire year. Don’t forget it’s a long season and we need you at your best. Hydrate. Rest. Recover.

CDAGRIZ said:
ABQCat said:

Rovig might even be better than Baumann. You might not remember this, but he was going to be the starter before getting hurt last season. I agree that Choach has proven that he is incredible at recruiting QBs to QBU. I know everyone in the media says he's a simpleton and what not, but I think he's actually smart as a tack.

Agreed, I'm not so sure Sneaky Jeff isn't laying in the weeds on Rovig and he really us the chosen one and Bauman is a front. He's played this game before sticking guys at LB as a fake. Smart man.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

We did! Brady Gus! :)

:lol: :lol:

Gus never weighed even close to 240 soaking wet. :ugeek:

But he did. 6’7 235. Dude when you’re that tall even the skinny ones weigh this much

https://gogriz.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2551

jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:
ABQCat said:

Agreed, I'm not so sure Sneaky Jeff isn't laying in the weeds on Rovig and he really us the chosen one and Bauman is a front. He's played this game before sticking guys at LB as a fake. Smart man.

I think you're definitely on to something, here. I'll never understand why virtually everyone outside of the QBU program says Sneaky Jeff doesn't have enough going on upstairs to be a long-term HC at this level. The "actual dumb person" act that he employs every time he opens his mouth is just that. The smart money is on Rovig this year at Quarterback Univristety.

Yep.... I knew this would be a Johnson Measuring contest thread, just didn't know the kitten fans would try to eat it.

https://twitter.com/thetimtracker/status/1019743727152230400

Latest posts

Back