• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Awful Montana State Bobcat Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a brief article on the owner of the YMCA copyright:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/arts/music/a-copyright-victory-35-years-later.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure Mr. Folkvard secured Mr. Willis's consent to his material.

mcg said:
Here is a brief article on the owner of the YMCA copyright:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/arts/music/a-copyright-victory-35-years-later.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure Mr. Folkvard secured Mr. Willis's consent to his material.

They had a producer. I can't imagine a producer being so stupid as to record over such a famous song without first securing consent.

Sorry guys...I produced the video and I was asked by the client to remove all sources of the video to minimize public relations damage. HookedonGriz is correct in that it is a little out of hand. Most took the video with a grain of salt. Some, however, were beyond livid to the point of being rabid. It should be noted that this was a private venture and not sanctioned what-so-ever- by MSU of Bobcat Athletics.
A lot of people in Missoula know and respect Larry and Dean, they are good-hearted fans and are extremely generous to BOTH schools. There is not malicious intent in either of these guys. In Bozeman the "no-means-no" reference has been lite, tail-gate fodder. We sometimes forget that for some it is deeply personal. Dean and Larry recognize this immediately, pulled the video and have sincerely apologized to their friends in Missoula.

I have produced hundreds of commercials and music videos over the years and I am truly amazed at the reactions to this video. It is love/hate with no grey area. Overall reviews are 85% positive and 15% negative. Obviously the no-mean-no reference was inappropriate (I did not write it), but half the negative responses center around the structure. Is it the association to the Village People, who were/are obviously gay, that offends some? The video is a parody and is supposed to be corny and fun, it is so bad that it is good.
All I can say is lighten-up people! Relax a little. The video is dead and the world will turn. Dean and Larry's school spirit and support of both the Bozeman/Missoula communities is un-waivering. Hit or miss at least they try, they do. How much did you raise for your school this year?
...see you at Cat/Griz.

CatzWillRise said:
Man I never ever got to see it, I must know! haha

It was pretty much like this only way better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYV73zMwUg[/youtube]

fallfootballfan said:
Sorry guys...I produced the video and I was asked by the client to remove all sources of the video to minimize public relations damage. HookedonGriz is correct in that it is a little out of hand. Most took the video with a grain of salt. Some, however, were beyond livid to the point of being rabid. It should be noted that this was a private venture and not sanctioned what-so-ever- by MSU of Bobcat Athletics.
A lot of people in Missoula know and respect Larry and Dean, they are good-hearted fans and are extremely generous to BOTH schools. There is not malicious intent in either of these guys. In Bozeman the "no-means-no" reference has been lite, tail-gate fodder. We sometimes forget that for some it is deeply personal. Dean and Larry recognize this immediately, pulled the video and have sincerely apologized to their friends in Missoula.

I have produced hundreds of commercials and music videos over the years and I am truly amazed at the reactions to this video. It is love/hate with no grey area. Overall reviews are 85% positive and 15% negative. Obviously the no-mean-no reference was inappropriate (I did not write it), but half the negative responses center around the structure. Is it the association to the Village People, who were/are obviously gay, that offends some? The video is a parody and is supposed to be corny and fun, it is so bad that it is good.
All I can say is lighten-up people! Relax a little. The video is dead and the world will turn. Dean and Larry's school spirit and support of both the Bozeman/Missoula communities is un-waivering. Hit or miss at least they try, they do. How much did you raise for your school this year?
...see you at Cat/Griz.

Offended? I was HONORED to be lucky enough to watch it a mere 33 times. I think you should bring it back and just dub over the line people are complaining about, like an R-rated movie on TNT or something. You could just leave in "at our school," and many rhymes then come to mind for "no means no"

It will snow?
Our cracks show?
We're lil' bro?
We sell blow?

The possibilities are endless. Give it a whirl!

And...Wheat Montana has now deleted all the comments regarding the video on facebook.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatzWillRise said:
Man I never ever got to see it, I must know! haha

It was pretty much like this only way better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYV73zMwUg[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Classic!

Agreed! it was a lot like this except with less autotune...

Can anyone enlighten me as to the involvement of Wheat Montana? I run a youth organization that utilizes Montana made products in fundraisers. I have concerns as to whether or not we should still be associated with their business.

snap said:
And...Wheat Montana has now deleted all the comments regarding the video on facebook.

What the hell is a private business doing taking negative comments off its own site for?! They should be crucified for the obvious mistake in judgement that one person had - held liable. I'm glad we don't forgive and let people have second chances...

MT Head Guy said:
snap said:

What the hell is a private business doing taking negative comments off its own site for!

I'm not sure. It's not like these two idiots suddenly grew a sense of decency overnight. If everybody was cool with the video, the artists would have never had a problem with it, and would have touted it a la Blueballs Cup or whatever they call that other rad song they made. The reactionary measures make them look like they share the personality trait that causes one to chicken out of a game rather than honor a commitment and take an ass pounding.

I personally did not like that line in the video but I accept the producer's explanation and actions taken to have it removed. Also, I concur with the producer that Larry and Dean have contributed generously to both schools. I know they are always supporting/contributing to different fundraisers and events all around the State. They are really solid citizens. They got a bit too carried away on this thing but hey they are human and not perfect.

CDAGRIZ said:
MT Head Guy said:
snap said:

What the hell is a private business doing taking negative comments off its own site for!

I'm not sure. It's not like these two idiots suddenly grew a sense of decency overnight. If everybody was cool with the video, the artists would have never had a problem with it, and would have touted it a la Blueballs Cup or whatever they call that other rad song they made. The reactionary measures make them look like they share the personality trait that causes one to chicken out of a game rather than honor a commitment and take an ass pounding.

boom.

bigsky33 said:
I personally did not like that line in the video but I accept the producer's explanation and actions taken to have it removed. Also, I concur with the producer that Larry and Dean have contributed generously to both schools. I know they are always supporting/contributing to different fundraisers and events all around the State. They are really solid citizens. They got a bit too carried away on this thing but hey they are human and not perfect.

How much have "Larry and Dean" contributed to the University of Montana? Serious question.

snap said:
bigsky33 said:

How much have "Larry and Dean" contributed to the University of Montana? Serious question.

They gave us the gift of song, dude! You can't put a price on that. BTW, "Larry and Dean" sounds like it should be the morning show on a failing classic rock station in Cedar Rapids, or something.

You need to direct the question to the University. I know Universal does business with both schools and in the Missoula community. I have personally been involved with fundraisers where both Dean and Larry have made very generous donations. I also know of many others that they have contributed too. They both run businesses that have a statewide scope. They get hit up for donations from all over the State.

HookedonGriz said:
Potomac Griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Sorry folks....long story short....I received a somewhat verbal threat from one of the producers or people behind the video demanding that I take it down unless I want to be liable for copyright infringement damages. They made it public in the first place so I'm not sure if I'd be liable for anything, but I don't really want to find out.

Also the reaction from both sides got a little out-of-hand in my humble opinion, so I took it down. I just truly thought it was a funny video and one that deserved a little fun. I had no idea it would be such a big deal. I thought both Bobcat and Griz fans alike would get a good chuckle out of it.....guess even that is too much to ask for in our rivalry. Sad.

Might be worthwhile to point out the terms and conditions on youtube to the person threatening you. Especially Section 6C:

http://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which states:

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable."

Might also ask them if they got the Village People's consent to use mangle their song like that before uploading it to youtube then claiming copyright of it :)

Or....you could just let it die... which would probably be best. I just like f***[*] with people who scream "OMG COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT" when they don't have a leg to stand on :)

Thank you for looking out for me! I gotta admit I was a little fired up when I received the initial threat to take it down. I challenged him that his clients made the video, he produced it, and they posted it to a public social media site and somehow I'm to blame in this. I figured once posted to a public site all copyright laws are off the table. But oh we'll, it was fun while it lasted. Best video ever.

FCK That! If I had that video on my computer I would broadcast it all over the place. Fck them. Go ahead and sue me and see how far that gets you! :lol:

Grizbeer said:
BWahlberg said:
Grizzaholic said:
BWahlberg said:
I see the copied video has also been taken down. Also a few people have been venting on Wheat Montana's facebook page, asking their owner for an apology.
For some of us that weren't able to see the video before it was taken down, why are people demanding an apology from the owner of Wheat Montana?

Dean Folkvord the owner of Wheat Montana wrote the song and I believe sang it in the video. 99.5% of the song is just stupid/funny but he has one line in there where, in reference to the university of Montana he states at MSU they "know that no means no."
This might be why they took it down:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/crime/article_5f418f62-1f05-11e3-9688-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There have been six rapes reported to MSU police this year, including these two incidents, MSU Police Chief Robert Putzke said. :eek: WOW!!! Sounds like a s**t storm might be brewing over in Bozeman.....Yikes!

bigsky33 said:

Amazingly, you and I agree on this one. I think it was nothing more than a momentary lack of bad taste by two professionals. They've removed the video and are taking the proper steps to distance themselves. Let's move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back